Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shannon4570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Door latch release

I have been putting my doors and door glass back together and have run into what I think is a minor road block. When I assemble the inner release mechanism to the rod which goes to the door latch itself I can't seem to find an attachment point for the bracket which keeps the rod from bending or flexing when you open the door. The most logical hole would require me to bend the rod quite a bit out of it's natural line. I don't believe there is a left or right to the rod and I've tried upways, downways and every other configuration to make it work. I have included a link to the specific part I am referring to:

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...rts/k8090.html

The small clip is in the middle. Any help or pictures of actual mounts would be appreciated.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Re: Door latch release

Here's an assembly diagram. Does this help? Looks like a screw on the outer portion of the inner door pinches a clip to the inside of the door. Looks like it's in line between the two mechanisms and there SHOULD be a hole there in the door. Is it the factory door?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DWN-31-3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	227779  

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 711 69 B Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
Here's an assembly diagram. Does this help? Looks like a screw on the outer portion of the inner door pinches a clip to the inside of the door. Looks like it's in line between the two mechanisms and there SHOULD be a hole there in the door. Is it the factory door?
Thanks Gary. I have this picture as well. There is a hole for it and yes the door is factory but my issue is no matter what orientation I put the rod or the clip I have to tweak the rod out of line anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" to reach the hole.

Since I didn't take my doors apart I am at a disadvantage on what is actually correct. My understanding is the clips function is to prevent the rod from bending out of line when you actuate the internal door handle so it seems odd I have to bend it to fasten the screw but maybe this is correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 09:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

All that clip does is prevent the rod from rattling. When you open the door the rod is pulled so itís not going to bend. As you said, donít bend the rod to accommodate the bracket.
With that said itís better to leave it off then to bend the rod to accommodate it.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

I guess what's bothering me is these came off the car and should just go right back on but again, not knowing what it should look/feel like I'll just have to wing it and hope for the best.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 12:51 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

1/2-3/4" isn't much. I'd use the clip as I think it will keep the rod from bowing too much if the latch mechanism hangs up for some unforeseen reason in the future. There should a cloth sleeve that goes around the rod to prevent rattles and squeeks .

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 05:40 AM
John

Garage

The clip goes inside the door. The screw goes in from the outside and screws into the clip to hold it in place.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The clip goes inside the door. The screw goes in from the outside and screws into the clip to hold it in place.
Well, I had a small epiphany yesterday. Was frustrated I couldn't figure it out and decided perhaps the guidance from the picture I was using was backwards or simply not accurate. I pulled the handle mechanism and rod for the fifth time and reversed the orientation of the rod itself. The AIM shows the rod attaching to the latch arm from the inside towards the outside (or maybe the other way, can't remember) but on my car that is 180 off. I flipped the rod around and lo and behold, it fit perfectly with the clip lining up exactly as indicated above.

My take away on this is generally things fit like you think they should, you just need to tinker with them if something seems incorrect. I appreciate all the help provided and can now check this PITA of my list.
69Z28 likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 10:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Good job and good for you for coming back to reveal the solution.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode