Interior rear view mirror repair questions - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Interior rear view mirror repair questions

I am trying to save and restore the original interior rear view mirror from my '68 and have some questions.

It has two problems. The glass is needing replacing or re-silvering and the lever for switching the day/night mode is broken.

My questions are...…

1) Is there any place you can get a replacement lever aside from a donor mirror. I'm doubting it but it never huts to ask. I tried gluing mine back together and had exactly the luck I expected......none!

2) Replacement glass is available from Paragon Corvette for $40.00. I assume it's reproduction and wonder about the quality and fit. Anyone had experience with these?

3) Can any place that re-silvers mirrors re-do do a day/night mirror?

4) Is it true that the glass just fits inside the rubber and that no adhesive was used to hold it in. I didn't know if the yellow substance that came off of the back of the glass and stuck to the rubber was adhesive or part of the mirror backing?

5) How is the rubber attached the stainless steel body of the mirror? I had soaked my mirror in hot water to soften the rubber to get the glass out and in the process, most of the rubber detached from the body of the mirror. An inch and a half of the rubber at one end will not come loose though. On the part that did come loose, there doesn't seem to be any trace of adhesive.

Thanks..…..Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 08:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: Interior rear view mirror repair questions

I couldn’t find any of the answers to your questions when I wanted to restore my mirror. I purchased a reproduction mirror and it looks real close to original.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Joyce Borrell - known as The Mirror Lady.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I had my OEM mirror resilvered and several years later you could see where the silver had failed originally and it looked just as bad so I'd either get a new glass (if you ca find it) or just get a repro mirror. I got a repro mirror and like it. I did contact Paragon Corvette with respect to a replacement glass and was told what they had would not fit my 1969 mirror properly and the Corvette mirrors were a slightly different shape.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Chris who did your re-silvering?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 03:34 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I took mine to a glass shop and had them cut a regular mirror to fit.
as far as the lever, you can get a substance called "pig" epoxy putty. it is like clay. you can shape and mold it to match your original lever. it is machinable , drillable and you can paint it after it sets
just a thought
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 06:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
Chris who did your re-silvering?

Some antique restoration shop in Houston, not sure if it's even still in existence since I had it done probably 20 years ago so I can't provide any guidance for someone to do that for you. Like I said, the resilver job did not last long.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 06:09 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
Joyce Borrell - known as The Mirror Lady.
X2 on the Mirror Lady. Good work and a reasonable price.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Some antique restoration shop in Houston, not sure if it's even still in existence since I had it done probably 20 years ago so I can't provide any guidance for someone to do that for you. Like I said, the resilver job did not last long.
No worries, just wanted to know who did it, because I stand by the earlier recommendation. Glad it wasn't a bad experience from that source.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 02:01 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
I took mine to a glass shop and had them cut a regular mirror to fit.
as far as the lever, you can get a substance called "pig" epoxy putty. it is like clay. you can shape and mold it to match your original lever. it is machinable , drillable and you can paint it after it sets
just a thought

Does it function correctly between day and night? Reason I ask is because when I took my original apart, I noted the glass was thicker at the top or bottom - not the same thickness throughout. I suspect your shop used a sheet of consistent thickness glass.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I am the OP and apologize for not getting back to this sooner. Thanks for all of the replies.

I think my two choices are to send my mirror to The Mirror Lady or to buy replacement glass from Paragon, replace my broken day/night switch lever, and do it all myself. My metal body is in excellent shape.

I have a line on a donor mirror to get the day/night switch lever from. I did look into the Pig Epoxy that was mentioned to fix my broken lever and it seems it is only sold in bulk (like six 4 ounce tubes) with a minimum price of about $50.00.

I Googled "mirror re-silvering' in the Orlando, FL area and got two hits. I went by one place which was close to me and they told me they don't do anything like that. I called the other place which was called Mirror Mirror and they told me they were a hair salon! (I had to laugh at that one!) With the results some have had with re-silvering, maybe that isn't the way to go.

I did contact The Mirror Lady, spoke with Dennis over there, and found out the following....

a) The cost for the mirror restoration is $95 plus $12 for return shipping.
b) Yes, they can replace my broken day/night lever switch but that is extra but I didn't ask how much.
c) They use new glass! They do not re-silver your old glass!
d) I said my rubber frame has some light discolored spots that I could not remove with detergent and scrubbing. He said they have a solution that they use that does a good job. That most light staining would clean up but if it was really dark, it might not.
e) They DO NOT sell individual parts if someone was wanting to do their own restoration.
f) There is an adhesive that is used to attach the rubber frame to the metal body of the mirror. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to somehow snap into place.

For the price, The Mirror Lady is probably the way to go. I like fixing my own things when I can though, so I haven't made up my mind which way to go yet.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode