Sun Visor Flop... - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

2Likes
  • 2 Post By SoCal805

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sun Visor Flop...

Finding I am using the sun visor more and after making the screw "good & snug" previously the flop started. No more tighten left so I got new bushings & end rubbers for $6 @ NPD. Interior was done by PO so all I have done is enjoy it until the flop.

removed the tension screw and the visor would not slide off...even with some persuasion. Removed the hold down & visor and punched out the visor once it was on the bench. The problem is the old plastic bushing was gone and the screw was tightened to max completely compressing the "clamp" part. The new bushing would not slide in and I could see the mock up of the bushing on visor shaft had a good 1/8" gap where it is split but had to compress the bushing completely to get it in so visor rod would not go in.

Put the clamp/swivel part in vice wrapped in towel and gently started separating the jaws of the clamp to open it up some using a small hammer and gasket scraper. Gentle taps until I got a gap of about 3/32 and the new plastic bushing slid in easily. The visor rod took some effort to get in but went in. Without the tightening screw it is good to hold visor so just a small tightening of it to give even holding tension on the rod.

The new rubber end caps for the rear view mirror rests fit nicely. Now the visors work as good as they look.

I had read in forum search about the "visor flop" that the clamp mount is not friendly to opening/closing as it is just cast pot metal, or at least the re-pop I have is, and likely to crack or brake. FWIW I managed to get it from clamp completely closed to 3/32" ish by gently using a few tools (putty knife, gasket scraper, screw driver) in varying blade widths and gently taping them with small hammer to widen the gap.

Most of the responses on the search I did said to replace the plastic bushings and for me that's what it was. There was just a small piece of the old bushing in mine and the clamp had been tightened shut in attempt to hold it

What should have been a 2 min screw driver only job turned into a hr of "adjustments"...but fortunately with good results.
Shannon4570 and 68redvert like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 09:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Re: Sun Visor Flop...

I really like write ups like this. Very detailed and provides a solution to something some if not most will face at one time or another.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Sun Visor Flop...

Part 2...

So after fixing the DS I went to put the new plastic bushing in the PS since 2 came in the kit. It sorta stays where you want but not great. Unscrew the tightening screw and discover I have a 2 piece visor hold down.

Buy a re-pop and notice its gap is about 1/8" (more than the DS one I pried open) and after mock up on bench using a new plastic bushing I could not tighten the screw enough to hold visor from flopping.

Did the trick I read while searching this topic on this forum and used Blackwrap. It is a heavy gauge foil I use in my line of work (stage lighting) so I have a few rolls of it. Any type of foil would likely work but this stuff is at least twice as thick as household aluminum foil. Cut a small piece and wrapped it on visor post leaving a slit like the bushing has. Wound up doubling the Blackwrap.

IDK if my broken one was original (there is a part # on it and not on re-pop) but suspect it was and the re-pop's are what they are but otherwise fit with using some form of "fill" between the visor rod and plastic bushing. I think trying to compress the hold down some in a vise would likely break the pot metal

Anyway +1 on the hack noted by others as a "fix" I found while searching the subject on this forum. Now I have both visors operating as they should
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode