• 3 Post By patman2
  • 3 Post By patman2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage
Headliner installed!

I installed my headliner today, glad to have that behind me!

I ended up with a few ripples, hopefully some time baking in the sun will take care of those.
130fe, rogerh and 350sshugger like this.

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Headliner installed!

Wrinkles will not come out unless you manipulate the headliner.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 05:02 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

That's the one thing I hate installing is a headliner. Can never get it right!!! Ugh! Good luck!!!!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 12:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Scott, the wrinkles came out of mine without manipulation or using a heat gun. If the OP has it glued and the trim all on I would recommend giving it a little time to see whatís going to happen.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech

headliner install is way above my pay grade but seeing various "build a car" shows the interior guys seem to always use a "steamer" on headliners to coax out wrinkles.

I see OP has paper clips holding the headliner in place...maybe some more "tug" sideways in the areas affected will pull the wrinkles out then secure with whatever fastener headliners are held in place with.

But again I have never done a headliner install so just making a guess. Kudos to OP for even doing this yourself.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

Mine wasn't wrinkled but I would say it was maybe a bit "loose" so I mist sprayed it with water and rolled up the windows and set her out in the Texas sun and it "tightened" up nicely.....Still tight 20 years later.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage

Good tip on the steam and mist+sun ideas, may give that a try. This was my 3rd time installing a headliner, it actually went smoother than I remember the last one going about 10+ years ago.

It ainít perfect but it beats the heck out of the bare metal that was there before! Not too shabby for a can of spray adhesive, a few boxes of binder clips, and a few choice words!
rogerh, pietenpol and Shannon4570 like this.

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 03:49 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
Scott, the wrinkles came out of mine without manipulation or using a heat gun. If the OP has it glued and the trim all on I would recommend giving it a little time to see whatís going to happen.

Roger
The OP's picture shows numerous wrinkles that are normally non-existent after installation. Lay the headliner out under the influence of heat to relax it prior to installation. Slice the sleeves correctly to allow proper stretching. Very little reason a first timer can't have a wrinkle free installation.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 03:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

What Scott said about slicing the sleeves to get a good pull is a very good tip. I use the paperclip method too. But I use the glue you put on with a brush. It's easier to use for me, and less mess in my opinion. Your not far off. You can get those out relatively easy.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 05:23 AM
John

Garage

As stated above you have to slice the sleeves. All of the headliners Iíve seen the sleeves are stitched too long. Unless you slice them you can pull all day long and youíll never get the wrinkles out.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Garage

Agreed on the sleeves... theyíre always too long. I trimmed mine back a fair amount during the install.

Pat - 68 Camaro Coupe -
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
The OP's picture shows numerous wrinkles that are normally non-existent after installation. Lay the headliner out under the influence of heat to relax it prior to installation. Slice the sleeves correctly to allow proper stretching. Very little reason a first timer can't have a wrinkle free installation.
Scott, you have a great technique installing headliners and I am sure they all look great. I am not disputing your technique at all.

The OP said he was finished with the installation and the picture in his post is clearly not the the finished product. I was just stating my experience and encouraging him to see what sun's heat would do before doing anything more drastic.

Roger

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 19, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech
Ryan

What are people using for the pinch welds? I saw a roll of 25 ft of just generic pinchweld on eBay for $30-40 bucks. I know there is a kit on carmarocentral, but I have a hard time paying almost $200 for the pinch welds.

Project: 1968 Camaro LS1, T56, Z51 brakes, 12 bolt, etc.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 19, 07:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

The headliner pinch weld covers are specially designed for that location. On the inside they are flat and the outside they are thicker to fill a cavity between the pinch weld and the weather striping. The headliner covers also have a different texture.

Roger

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode