Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shannon4570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Console Question

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. It seems most vendors will sell a complete console either assembled or unassembled. The assembled one is typically about $100 more. Why would anyone spend an additional hundred dollars to avoid snapping/screwing some plastic pieces together? I must be missing something but since I have no direct experience I thought I would ask the experts. This is for a console without gauges.

For what it's worth, I am leaning towards unassembled because I want to hydrodip the shift plate and the forward filler plate (and if I can save $100 in the process it's all good). I am concerned if I purchase the assembled one I might break it taking it apart

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 07:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The shift plate, and the forward plate come off easy. It's kinda a pain to put one together. I thought like you and bought an unassembled one. All the stoppers, and Ash tray springs will make you cuss. Ultimately your choice though.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Re: Console Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
The shift plate, and the forward plate come off easy. It's kinda a pain to put one together. I thought like you and bought an unassembled one. All the stoppers, and Ash tray springs will make you cuss. Ultimately your choice though.
Keith - this is exactly the kind of information I am looking for so thank you. Sometimes its worth a few bucks not to frustrate the hell out of ones self. If those plates come off a completed one fairly easily I will just go assembled and do a little disassembly once I get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Tim, If you're not concerned about the factory style you may want to check out
the consoles with a built in armrest and cup holders. I personally miss an armrest
on my 67.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 09:20 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Hmmm easy and rather enjoyable to put together in my opinion. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Tim, If you're not concerned about the factory style you may want to check out
the consoles with a built in armrest and cup holders. I personally miss an armrest
on my 67.
I looked at those but decided to go with the classic look (at least on this item). My car is by no means original in any way, shape or form so my interior is kind of a weird blend of old and new but I think I'm going to really like it. I know what you mean about the arm rest though, they're nice to have.
allanjs likes this.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Wink Re: Console Question

I bought the saddle hugger console that is available to fit over the factory console. Love it.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/cons...in/195694/1286

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Aug 13th, 19 at 12:35 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 12:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

its so easy to assemble
all instructions are in the camaro assembly manual

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Sometimes it's not worth the time and aggravation as well as cutting up your fingers.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 02:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

I remember fiddling with a spring for awhile until I understood it after looking at the picture in the factory assembly manual, I didn't remember if it was the storage door or the ashtray that took a bit of time.

I sure do miss a cup holder though, I'm always reaching around the floor looking for the bottle of water that went flying after some tight corners.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
I sure do miss a cup holder though, I'm always reaching around the floor looking for the bottle of water that went flying after some tight corners.
There may be some "donut" type generic cup holder you can buy but I just made one inside my 67 console. Same idea will work on a 68-69 console.

Bought a rubber cup console insert from Amazon for $8. 3".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got a 3" PVC fitting at home Depot for $2 and wrapped it in black gaffers tape and cut a piece of 1/4" ply I had and rattle caned it after using a hole saw to cut a hole in the 1/4" ply that made a interference fit for the cup holder. Secured it with the hold down bolt inside the console and called it good. Fits easily under console lid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode