Shock from horn - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Shock from horn

I recently pulled the steering wheel to change out the key switch on my 75 Camaro. I put the new switch in and while reassembling the steering wheel I got a shock several times from the horn contacts. Now nothing happens when I turn the new key switch and the battery drained completely. No fuses blown.
Any idea whats going on?

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 10:15 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: Shock from horn

Your horn contacts are most likely shorted to ground leaving the horn relay energized which drained the battery.

Don
bondora68 likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

It is most likely what Don mentioned, but check your horns as well, make sure they have a good ground.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

The shock you got from the horn contacts could be from the horn relays coil collapsing. This is very common on older relays that are not fitted with a diode across the relays activation coil. This voltage can be a lot higher than 12V and what you might have been feeling was a LOT more. This spike can cause damage to sensitive electronics.

Electronics Club - Relays - choosing, protection diode, advantages and disadvantages, reed relays

As far as the battery drained completely, was the door left open while you did the work ?. Is the battery good or is it starting to fail ?. Could it just be a coincidence that a connection on the battery cables for example might have gone south or from moving the column around changing the switch and a connection on the bulkhead might have been pulled loose ?.

You might have to disconnect the battery, charge it up, and then do a currnet draw test to see what's happening and/or get out a meter to see where you have lost power.

Jim
bondora68 likes this.

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Thanks Jim. I pulled the battery and charged it up. Still nothing when I try to crank. I will have the battery tested to see if it is failing under load and go from there. I need to replace the battery cables anyway since they are likely many years old. after that, I guess I will check the starter solenoid? I pulled the steering wheel back off to replace the old horn contacts and no shocks this time. But no crank either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2196.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	228767  

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondora68 View Post
Thanks Jim. I pulled the battery and charged it up. Still nothing when I try to crank. I will have the battery tested to see if it is failing under load and go from there. I need to replace the battery cables anyway since they are likely many years old. after that, I guess I will check the starter solenoid? I pulled the steering wheel back off to replace the old horn contacts and no shocks this time. But no crank either.
Do you have any power any where like with a dome light, wipers, headlights, and ????.

It might be time to get out a test light or volt meter to see where you have power and then where power is not.

I know you said you checked the fuses but on the older cars there are also fusible links that are in place to protect wiring and maybe one of those has gone south or a broken wire connection somewhere ?.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 09:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Shock from the horn, and you're to blame
Darling, you give Chevys a bad name.
I play my part and you play your game.
You give Chevys a bad name.

Bon Jovi with a little help from Patrick

There is bound to be a horn fuse. Pull it, and see if the battery stays charged.
You are from the south. You know it is rude to honk at people.
fastercar68 likes this.

Patrick
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA-Nova View Post
Do you have any power any where like with a dome light, wipers, headlights, and ????.

It might be time to get out a test light or volt meter to see where you have power and then where power is not.

I know you said you checked the fuses but on the older cars there are also fusible links that are in place to protect wiring and maybe one of those has gone south or a broken wire connection somewhere ?.

Jim
Power to dome light, fan blower, and wipers..
After I have the battery tested I will start tracking down the wiring issue I guess. I cannot find a horn fuse..Anyone know which one it is?

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
Shock from the horn, and you're to blame

Bon Jovi with a little help from Patrick

There is bound to be a horn fuse. Pull it, and see if the battery stays charged.
You are from the south. You know it is rude to honk at people.
What's up Patrick?! Hope you are well. (although we all know you are off your rocker).
I've been busy healing from a limb attack that knocked me off a ladder onto the concrete.. Severed my achilles tendon and ripped my left triceps clean off the bone. Doing much better now that I am 9 weeks post surgeries.. Still have a little limp due to calf muscle atrophy but I'm getting better.. Lucky to be alive!
My tree wanted a limb for a limb..

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 02:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Damn Ol' Tony, that is bad news. Was it your clutch foot or the gas pedal foot? Which arm?

I feel so sorry for Ö your wife. She had to put up with you for 9 weeks of in the bed and on the recliner. I need to send her a gallon of hard liquor and some flowers. I am just messing with you, trying to make you smile.

I am sorry to hear about your fall. Sounds like you are getting better. I guess you are doing physical therapy. A friend of mine at work called her PT guy Sargent Slaughter.
bondora68 likes this.

Patrick
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 06:28 AM
Tech Team
boyd

[QUOTE=tp_smith;1783159869]Shock from the horn, and you're to blame

Boy that sounds like a Burma Shave jingle to me?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
Damn Ol' Tony, that is bad news. Was it your clutch foot or the gas pedal foot? Which arm?

I feel so sorry for Ö your wife. She had to put up with you for 9 weeks of in the bed and on the recliner. I need to send her a gallon of hard liquor and some flowers. I am just messing with you, trying to make you smile.

I am sorry to hear about your fall. Sounds like you are getting better. I guess you are doing physical therapy. A friend of mine at work called her PT guy Sargent Slaughter.
Clutch foot and shifting arm.
Yes my wife has been a real trooper through the wheelchair phase and the crutches and whining phase. Doing well now and getting my strength back into my left calf.

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

OK, So the battery was bad so I replaced it. The NEW key switch was bad so I replaced it. Now the horn blows constantly if I hook up the battery so I disassembled the horn below the horn button. Anyone have a diagram for correct assembly (after the steering wheel goes on...)
Where do I put that little white plastic ring?

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible

Last edited by bondora68; Sep 16th, 19 at 12:30 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

When I got home I tried again to assemble the horn contact pieces which consists of the metal cup, the red plastic piece with 3 holes for the screws, the 3 screws, and the white ring. No matter how I put it together, the horn blows constantly and it shocks me...
here is the kit I'm using...

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...arts/k137.html

Tony
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 07:28 PM
Team Member
Don

I have found it works best if you donít overtighten the three screws. Just snug them up. Assembly diagram attached. Patience and trial and error needed to dial in reproduction horn button parts in my experience.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25C8B613-3079-49B1-A103-E1478DAB2023.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	229249  
bondora68 likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

Last edited by dhutton; Sep 16th, 19 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode