Team Camaro Tech banner

Shock from horn

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  bondora68 
#1 ·
I recently pulled the steering wheel to change out the key switch on my 75 Camaro. I put the new switch in and while reassembling the steering wheel I got a shock several times from the horn contacts. Now nothing happens when I turn the new key switch and the battery drained completely. No fuses blown.
Any idea whats going on?

#2 ·
Your horn contacts are most likely shorted to ground leaving the horn relay energized which drained the battery.

Don

Reactions: bondora68
#4 ·
The shock you got from the horn contacts could be from the horn relays coil collapsing. This is very common on older relays that are not fitted with a diode across the relays activation coil. This voltage can be a lot higher than 12V and what you might have been feeling was a LOT more. This spike can cause damage to sensitive electronics.

Electronics Club - Relays - choosing, protection diode, advantages and disadvantages, reed relays

As far as the battery drained completely, was the door left open while you did the work ?. Is the battery good or is it starting to fail ?. Could it just be a coincidence that a connection on the battery cables for example might have gone south or from moving the column around changing the switch and a connection on the bulkhead might have been pulled loose ?.

You might have to disconnect the battery, charge it up, and then do a currnet draw test to see what's happening and/or get out a meter to see where you have lost power.

Jim

#5 ·
Thanks Jim. I pulled the battery and charged it up. Still nothing when I try to crank. I will have the battery tested to see if it is failing under load and go from there. I need to replace the battery cables anyway since they are likely many years old. after that, I guess I will check the starter solenoid? I pulled the steering wheel back off to replace the old horn contacts and no shocks this time. But no crank either.

Attachments

#6 ·
Do you have any power any where like with a dome light, wipers, headlights, and ????.

It might be time to get out a test light or volt meter to see where you have power and then where power is not.

I know you said you checked the fuses but on the older cars there are also fusible links that are in place to protect wiring and maybe one of those has gone south or a broken wire connection somewhere ?.

Jim

#7 ·
Shock from the horn, and you're to blame
Darling, you give Chevys a bad name.
I play my part and you play your game.
You give Chevys a bad name.

Bon Jovi with a little help from Patrick

There is bound to be a horn fuse. Pull it, and see if the battery stays charged.
You are from the south. You know it is rude to honk at people.

#9 ·
What's up Patrick?! Hope you are well. (although we all know you are off your rocker).
I've been busy healing from a limb attack that knocked me off a ladder onto the concrete.. Severed my achilles tendon and ripped my left triceps clean off the bone. Doing much better now that I am 9 weeks post surgeries.. Still have a little limp due to calf muscle atrophy but I'm getting better.. Lucky to be alive!
My tree wanted a limb for a limb..

#10 ·
Damn Ol' Tony, that is bad news. Was it your clutch foot or the gas pedal foot? Which arm?

I feel so sorry for … your wife. She had to put up with you for 9 weeks of in the bed and on the recliner. I need to send her a gallon of hard liquor and some flowers. I am just messing with you, trying to make you smile.

I am sorry to hear about your fall. Sounds like you are getting better. I guess you are doing physical therapy. A friend of mine at work called her PT guy Sargent Slaughter.

#12 ·
Clutch foot and shifting arm.
Yes my wife has been a real trooper through the wheelchair phase and the crutches and whining phase. Doing well now and getting my strength back into my left calf.

#13 · (Edited)
OK, So the battery was bad so I replaced it. The NEW key switch was bad so I replaced it. Now the horn blows constantly if I hook up the battery so I disassembled the horn below the horn button. Anyone have a diagram for correct assembly (after the steering wheel goes on...)
Where do I put that little white plastic ring?

#14 ·
#15 · (Edited)
I have found it works best if you don’t overtighten the three screws. Just snug them up. Assembly diagram attached. Patience and trial and error needed to dial in reproduction horn button parts in my experience.

Don

Attachments

Reactions: bondora68
#16 ·
Had a problem with the horn honking when the button was installed. Come to find out there is 3 different size screw rings that hold the button. Found them in my stach of parts. The wrong one was grounding the horn to blow constantly. Don't know if this helps. Now instead of leaving it lose, to fall out later, put a washer for each screw.

#18 ·
The metal ring that attaches with 3 screws to the steering wheel that has a round clip to hold the horn button. It also has a metal extension that touches the horn spring. I have 3 that look the same but are slightly different that I found by accident. I can't take a pix. . . .hope this helps or just make it complicated, be there done that!
..……

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.