Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shannon4570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Help - Door Jamb Windlace

Need some help guys. I ordered the following from Speedway looking for an alternative to OER:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Al-Kn...ir,115850.html

I am really disappointed in the quality of these items. The metal tab is only partially correct, the texture of the material is odd - like it's more rubber than vinyl and one of them has obvious forming pits in the surface. I still have my white originals but they are pretty roached and even cleaned up and re-painted I don't really think they are recoverable. So any feedback on what others have purchased/used would be greatly appreciated.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage
Re: Help - Door Jamb Windlace

Try to find a set of originals. None of the repops Iíve used worked real well. Iím surprised Al Knoch is selling stuff through Speedway. You may want to give AK a call and see what they think the quality should be.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Liíl Red Express
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
Try to find a set of originals. None of the repops Iíve used worked real well. Iím surprised Al Knoch is selling stuff through Speedway. You may want to give AK a call and see what they think the quality should be.
I purchased their seat foams as well so they must have some kind of relationship now. I have my originals but like I said, they are pretty beat up and would probably show their age no matter what I might do to clean them up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Older post, but I'm sure the guy is still around as they have a salvage yard, from what I gather. His e-mail is listed in the thread.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/29-fo...-windlace.html

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I bought the same crap windlace you bought. Al Knoch sold by Speedway. They are crap. Threw a hundred dollars away on them. I bought some originals off eBay, but the seller cancelled the sale.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 06:09 AM
Kevin

So what is the going rate for original windlaces? Color would be a big determinant I assume, Orange and white would be the rarest IMO

Kevin

Last edited by KevinW; Sep 2nd, 19 at 10:14 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 08:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

If i could find white, I would pay a hundred bucks per side.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
If i could find white, I would pay a hundred bucks per side.
My originals are white and still have the metal tabs. I am going to try and scrub the crap out of them and see what they look like but I can tell they have serious scuff/rub marks where the vinyl texture is damaged so probably not usable even if I shot some vinyl paint on them but we'll see.

As an experiment, I ordered tab-less white windlace from Camaro Central just to see what it looks like and how it fits. It was only $13.00 so what the hell, right? I am able to return the others to Speedway so just out shipping on those.
350sshugger likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 08:15 PM
Tech Team
Dan

I bought my red windlace from classicautotrimnv on fleaBay. I am totally happy with the quality, fit & appearance. The cost was very reasonable.

Good Luck!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 08:06 PM
Apprentice
Mike

Shannon 4570 - did you find any solution to this yet? I've got the same problem. I ordered a set of the 67 Camaro door jamb windlace from Speedway Motors. It looked decent. I had my doors fairly well adjusted, new weatherstrip, and they closed well and easily. Then I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden I had to SLAM my doors and they still stuck out. Turns out it is these Al Knoch windlace. When I pull them off the doors are good again.

I see people are leaving feedback on the Speedway Motors site complaining of the same issue - too fat to close the doors:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Al-Kn...ir,116275.html

I just sent Al Knoch an email to give them feedback. We'll see what/if I hear back from them on this.

I know the repro parts in general aren't great but has anyone found a set of workable repro door windlace for a 1967?

67 Yenko Tribute in progress...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67moke View Post
Shannon 4570 - did you find any solution to this yet? I've got the same problem. I ordered a set of the 67 Camaro door jamb windlace from Speedway Motors. It looked decent. I had my doors fairly well adjusted, new weatherstrip, and they closed well and easily. Then I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden I had to SLAM my doors and they still stuck out. Turns out it is these Al Knoch windlace. When I pull them off the doors are good again.

I see people are leaving feedback on the Speedway Motors site complaining of the same issue - too fat to close the doors:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Al-Kn...ir,116275.html

I just sent Al Knoch an email to give them feedback. We'll see what/if I hear back from them on this.

I know the repro parts in general aren't great but has anyone found a set of workable repro door windlace for a 1967?
I have a 69 so it's a little different but the Al Knoch items were unacceptable and I sent them back. The white windlace I ordered for $13 will fit but it is a far cry from the factory units since they don't have the molded ends (which are very visible) nor does it have the metal tabs to secure it under the quarter window felt. I am going to paint/dye my originals and bide my time until either new versions are available or like Keith, pay a premium for NOS white originals.

Wish I had better news but this is one of those areas where the aftermarket has decided too difficult or not worth the effort.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 19, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Seems like there are no good door jamb windlace. I repair mine with 3m 5895A Plastic repair, then paint as needed
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 19, 06:26 AM
Apprentice
Mike

My car unfortunately didn't come with any original windlace so I can't even try and restore it. If anyone has a used GM set they'd be willing to sell please let me know. In the meantime, I'm ordering some of this bulk windlace off of Ebay, it looks close, and is thinner than the Al Knoch stuff. Still have to figure out the top caps though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122189940946
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 19, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67moke View Post
My car unfortunately didn't come with any original windlace so I can't even try and restore it. If anyone has a used GM set they'd be willing to sell please let me know. In the meantime, I'm ordering some of this bulk windlace off of Ebay, it looks close, and is thinner than the Al Knoch stuff. Still have to figure out the top caps though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122189940946
I purchased some of this as well from Camaro Central. It will work but no metal tab and you will need to use some kind of plastic/vinyl material to cap off the end up at the quarter window or it will look unfinished. I believe someone mentioned some material they use to repair originals in a prior post that might work.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 19, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Used ones are the only correct ones. I went through the same thing on my 69 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode