3Likes
  • 2 Post By Farm Boy
  • 1 Post By 3d cad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Steve

Garage
What shifter handle for Muncie with a console?

Hi, I have a 68 4 speed car that originally had a factory console installed. When I bought the car it had a Muncie M21 with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter installed. The original console came with the car but was not installed because the shift handle is located too far to the left, basically 2 1/2 inches. The trans tunnel and shift boot backing plate were both cut to allow the shifter to work. The story I got was the original trans for the car was a Saginaw that suffered a catastrophic failure and was replaced with the Muncie. Now I would like to put the console back in the car, but first I need a shift handle that works, does anyone know the part number for the Hurst shift handle that would work with the Muncie and the factory console? Is there a specific shifter that should be used and I have a more generic one?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Mine was hacked up like that too with the wrong hurst setup.
I repaired the tunnel back to what a stock camaro 4spd should look like, but ended up going with a 5spd TKO. I’m sure if you go to Hurst you can buy the correct offset mount bracket and shifter handle.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 04:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: What shifter handle for Muncie with a console?

The correct Hurst shifter for a 1967-68 Camaro with a Muncie is #3914339 with a #3734529 installation kit. This shifter has a large bracket that sandwiches between the tailhousing and the rear mount and a U-bolt that goes around the back of the tailhousing. If you are trying to use any other shifter you will have fitment problems. I have this shifter in my ’67 and it fits the stock shifter hole in the floor perfectly.

rgwiz and wireboy355 like this.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Sounds like you guys had super shifters installed, not C+’s. The old ad Hurst ad that went “shift as hard as you please but dont break your arm” applied to those. I had one and loved it.
Yellow69RSZ likes this.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 05:11 PM
Tech Team
Tom

All good information. Also note the shifter and install kit is with and without console-comes through the floorboard in the same position. This is for 1967 and 1968 Camaro applications. The shifter handle is #4106. People have been mixing parts up for generations on Hurst shifters and the parts are often found in interesting combinations.
Also note you should have a Muncie with tailhousing #3857584. It has the speedometer drive on the passenger side for the 58-61 inch speedo cable that was used.

Last edited by tangobravo; Sep 3rd, 19 at 08:17 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Steve

Garage
Thanks for all the good info. I have to go under the car to verify but it seems to me that the speedometer cable comes out the left side of the tail housing. So it looks like I will have quite some work to correct it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 08:15 PM
Tech Team
Tom

A Muncie 4 speed Camaro will have a different speedo cable routing. It came off the passenger side of the tailhousing and followed the transmission tunnel forward and upward over the front of the transmission to a DIFFERENT hole in the firewall near the throttle lever pivot. If you don't have this, you'll need to drill the hole and it will require the bellhousing and engine to be removed. If you have a non-Muncie Camaro, you MIGHT be better off running the cable from the transmission extension driver side, and use the standard cable routing and hole. Muncies were a different animal. You could be in for some work trying to make things fit when altering and converting over. (Shifter and rod clearance to the speedo cable, cable routing, exhaust, transmission side cover and shifter shafts-(68 and earlier stud or 69 up bolt), backup switch, speedo cable lengths are just some potential troubles)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Steve

Garage
The Muncie has been in the car since I bought it 20 yrs ago, I'm sure it's not correct for the Camaro but it works. The spedo is functioning also, so the cable may not be routed correctly but it's not a big deal right now. The car is just a driver, there are other things that need to be addressed and I have to be conscious of the $ spend. I started this little project because I'd like to replace the carpet, but the shifter cut out is in the wrong place so I can either leave it or try to make it right. In any event I really appreciate the help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 05:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

So your original post says you already have a compitition plus shifter. The console is the same as a 69. Therefore a 69 handle "should" fit. I have the original round bar in my car. I have seen flat bar shifters work in a console as well. If you do not have the offset handle bracket , that's where you start. It puts the shifter back over to the center of the tunnel. You can purchase the handle offset on line and swap it yourself. It's not a hard job. Your handle just may work with the offset installed. There are a few YouTube videos on how to rebuild a comp plus shifter. That will be a help in what to expect. If you have a vice and dimple hand tools it will be no problem. If you don't have the offset, it doesn't matter what shifter mounting bracket, or handle you have it's just going to be too far left.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 05:37 AM
Tech Team
Ralph

Steve,
The Hurst #4106 is the handle your looking for. Its a common problem when converting from the stock shifter to the Hurst set up. Just make sure the stops are adjusted properly. You may have to move the console forward slightly also. Hurst makes a spacer you can install between the shifter and the tranny mount/bracket giving you a bit more room for third and fourth gears. GL
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Steve

Garage
Modifying my current shifter may be an option if I can find/source the correct offset bracket. I'm going to contact Hurst to see if they will sell the parts to perform the mod. I understand that there is a specific mounting kit which I don't have (yet) but somehow the shifter is in and functioning, it looks like that kit moves it back and closer. To mod the shifter I'll have to pull the trans and that will be a winter project.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

Garage

As Keith says above.
My 68 w/M-21 also has a cut out on the driver's side floor apparently to accommodate an old school modified straight-up shifter handle. No biggie, just search for a used offset or get one from Hurst.
I currently have the Hurst flat handle and it works fine with the console. The Comp Plus housing has adjusting bolts to limit the handle travel. Yes, 2nd and fourth did hit the console opening but that was with the Hurst flat curved handle. I switched to the straight handle and all is now good with a slight adjustment using the travel bolts.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 07:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

What you are looking for is something like this. This one is for an original Hurst slip in shifter handle. There is one still available from Hurst with the 2 holes for bolting the handle to. I recommend the two hole bolt kind. The handle is like $50.00 on eBay all day long. Without knowing what transmission you have "tail shaft shifter mounting points" it would be impossible to say if you have the correct shifter to trans mounting bracket. Regardless of the mount, you will need the handle offset. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190904-100946_1567606223450.png
Views:	45
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	228997  

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Steve

Garage
@ Kieth, that's a huge help. I watched the rebuild video so I kind of know what I'm up against. I'll have to figure out the spring compressor, maybe tie wraps will help.

@ GL, I already have the 8009 shifter handle, it looks similar to the 4106 you recommend, 2 inches less on the bend. The 8009 was listed for the Camaro on the reproduction parts sites, but maybe the 4106 is better if I don't have the correct shifter mounting plate.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 07:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The rebuild is not as hard as the video makes it look. I had no problem with the springs.

X-77 keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode