Team Camaro Tech banner

67 kick panel install

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rls8836 
#1 ·
My car has both kick panels off on my 1967 Camaro. They were off when I bought it in 2016. It’s been in my shop in the dry all this time. Now it is getting quite dusty. Couple of questions:
Will water will flow inside the interior if I wash it, isn’t that correct? Where do you buy the sealant gunk adhesive to install the kick panels? Can you find it at any auto parts store. Can you buy the cables new from one of the Camaro sites? Would someone recommend which ones to buy and where they acquired them from.

September 4, Andrew69 asked about how to install the drivers side kick panel on his 69 and I read that through twice. Is the 67 just as hard? Someone stated do it 2-3 times dry until you get it all figured out. It seems when you put the sealant on for the vents you only get one chance to be right and leakproof. Would someone offer up their detailed install for me to try and copy. My car originally came from the factory came with AC but that is all gone now. I bought used good looking kick panels and would like to put them in now with new cables installed. Thanks ahead for any ideas.

#2 ·
Yes if you wash your car without the kickpanels the water could come into the car. The kickpanel area is open to the grill that is in front of the windshield. All the water that goes into that grill will run down the kickpanel area and hopefully drain out the bottom of the kickpanel cavity.

The vent control cables a available at most Camaro parts suppliers. The link below is from Camaro Central. I have had some good luck getting parts from them.

The kickpanels are hard to install because they have a large flange around the vent opening. The flange is designed the keep water from going into the vent grill. That large flange is close the same size of the opening in the body kickpanel which makes the kickpanel hard to install. You will need to remove the emergency brake pedal, both door threshold plates, both side windshield trim and fold the carpet out of the way.

The caulking I used you can get at most home improvement stores. It’s called caulk cord and is easy to form around the vent opening. I put the caulking around the kickpanel vent opening and put the kickpanel in place. Starting to screws may be a problem so you will need a icepick to find the holes. Before you start the screws be sure you have those chrome flange washers on the screws. Before tightening the screw, compress the caulk by pushing on the kickpanel.

https://www.camarocentral.com/1967_1968_Camaro_Kick_Panel_Cable_Set_Without_A_p/int-984.htm

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mortite-19-oz-x-90-ft-Grey-Weatherstrip-and-Caulking-Cord-B2/100152937

Roger

#4 ·
What they said above pretty well covers it. But I found I had to also remove the high-beam foot switch and loosen and move the fuse box toward the center of the car. The driver's side kick panel is the difficult one.

I used Duct Seal like what Al linked above. One block should be enough for both sides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.