interior door stainless trim pieces install - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
RJ

interior door stainless trim pieces install

Hello guys. Im trying to install the two stainless trim pieces that go on the interior deluxe door trim on 69 Camaro coupe. I bought new door panels, but want to re-use the four stainless pieces. wondering how to locate new holes for the metal tabs to fit into, and don't want to create a disaster, haha. Wondered how you guys went about doing it and making them be in the right spot, tried the ice pick, but that didn't work well. Trying to drill holes is risky, because it would be pretty easy to screw up the carpet on lower door. I know you guys have the answer. Pics or video would be fantastic.

Thank you,
RJ

69 Camaro RS, Dart 406" small block, 11:1 CR, Muncie 4-Comp Cams XR300HR, Dart 215cc aluminum heads, Dart single plane, Hooker 2" ceramic headers Richmond 4:11 rears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 04:50 AM
Kevin

Re: interior door stainless trim pieces install

Using a soldering iron for carpet holes is the most discussed method (carpet is nylon which melts slowly with heat). Repro deluxe panels have a plastic backing, so maybe the iron is they way to go there too. But I have not tried this myself.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 19, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

if you don't have a soldering iron,
I use different size nails and bolts depending on the size hole I want. clamp the nail/ bolt with vice grips and heat using a propane torch . touch the carpet to match the hole

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
RJ

Both good ideas. I happened to see a pro restoration video where the guy used the soldering iron to do his panels. seemed to work pretty good for him, despite the fact that he seems like kind of a duphus, but maybe that is part of his act. Was a goo video any want. After I watched it, I found my soldering iron, and it was exactly what he used. Hence, Ill try it today.
Thank you both for the quick replies. Much appreciated. All you guys rock. The amount of knowledge on this site is amazing.

RJ

69 Camaro RS, Dart 406" small block, 11:1 CR, Muncie 4-Comp Cams XR300HR, Dart 215cc aluminum heads, Dart single plane, Hooker 2" ceramic headers Richmond 4:11 rears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode