Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bertfam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Headrest question

I have a 67 that came without headreasts. I have not stripped the seats yet but its my belief that all buckets were prepped to accept headrests but few got them. Is there a drawing anywhere of this assembly? Are the unique parts that exist in a headrest seat available anywhere? Am i better off starting with a 69 seat and recovering it as a 67?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Re: Headrest question

I don't recall that regular bucket seats were made to accept headrests. If your not sticking with originality then buy some newer seats that have the option and comfort that the buckets didn't.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech
Al

My 67 does not have the provision for head rests.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 08:42 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Here's a pic of a 69. http://camaros.org/images/hrest/hr_69frame-1.jpg
Basically a 67/8 frame with added reinforcement. How's your welding/fabrication skills ? I might be able to find a pic of what I came up with if you're looking for ideas ...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Oct 6th, 19 at 11:59 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Im not going down that path. My goal for the car is to have a deluxe interior back in it. Maybe day 2 ish. I havent seen any modern seats upholstered as deluxe that didnt look way off to me. I think i can scare up some 69 seats though.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Read THIS.

Ed
Just 1 More likes this.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 09:10 AM
Apprentice

From first hand experience with my 67' headrest seats I can tell you that the "receiver" hardware does not come welded in the seatback frames, but the correct hardware (which is spot welded in the seatback frames in those with the factory option) can be bolted (in place of spot welds) in / nest perfectly to the contour of the upper vertical bridge stamping. The bracketry still has to be obtained from original seat backs (typically only available from cars that were originally equipped with headrest and burned or a convertible that the seats were totally deteriorated from environment exposure), but in those cases the headrest themselves are trashed.

There are "reproduction headrest" being marketed, but it doesn't take very close inspection to tell that they're reproductions. The reproduction processes and materials used to produce them are "so nice" that anyone who knows a genuine 67' headrest will scoff at them. The only part of a reproduction headrest that could pass on inspection for the "real McCoy" is the chrome stem...

A couple of things to take note of is that in addition to the female receiver (with spring steel retention/positioning unit) there is a unique bracket spot welded on the very top of the seatback frame that the Chrome Escutcheon attaches to. NONE of this is common to 68'/69' (just as the 67' headrest are significantly different / taller than 68'/69' headrest.

I recently sold my 67' Camaro with factory headrest, but I still have in my collected spare parts one passenger seatback frame complete with hardware (no cover or foam) and two headrest [one needing a little more restoration / vinyl dyed, but surface covering still intact in decent shape] that I intend to sell. I also have pics of all the hardware removed from a seatback [not sharing the pics... but will be made available to whoever I end up selling my spares to]. If you know what you're doing / have some reasonably good fabrication skills it is more than feasible to replicate the seatback frame hardware with a combination of purchased reproduction parts (that will require some rework themselves). I've researched / investigated this to know exactly which parts to obtained and where (because I knew that a driver's side to complete my spare set would need fabricated given it would be highly unlikely that I would find a used one).

It all comes down to how much are you willing to spend and how much work/time you are willing to put into them... [as well as what is going to meet your threshold for originality - for me nothing but what came out of the GM assembly plant in 1967 would do, but if all you require is 67 vinyl covers on seatbacks with some headrest of some flavor in them then 69' parts will be the least expensive alternative, but won't add any value / desirability for your car to others, but if it pleases you than that is what counts. Recently there was a near stock 67' on eBay with gold interior / headrest and it was obvious the seats were 69's recovered with 67' covers.

If you want a true original factory look & feel there are no easy / cheap paths to it. 68'/69' headrest units can be differentiated from 67's 30 feet away/outside a car and reproductions from 10' away.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 09:53 AM
Apprentice

First line should have read "... does not come welded in ALL 67' setback frames" [missed inclusion of the key word "ALL" - sorry about that]. Of course those factory equipped with the headrest are (spot) welded in.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 01:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgi 67 View Post
First line should have read "... does not come welded in ALL 67' setback frames" [missed inclusion of the key word "ALL" - sorry about that]. Of course those factory equipped with the headrest are (spot) welded in.
Higgi, I bought aftermarket headrests for my 67 Camaro when we built it years ago. They bolted right in from what I remember. The only thing I don't like about the aftermarket head rests is they are hard as a rock. I didn't care about originality so spending the money to get the factory ones refurbished was out of the question. I'm actually going to replace these seats someday soon with something more modern and comfortable.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode