Team Camaro Tech banner

67 Camaro standard front armrest

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BRICO69 
#1 · (Edited)
Embarrassed to say that I can’t figure out the front screw mounting point for my armrests in my 67 Vert. Rear mounting holes are obvious but nothing but air for the front. Is there supposed to be a bracket on the back of the door panel for the front mount? Looked in the Fisher manual etc. and no luck. She has been apart for 8 years and I can’t remember this detail. Thanks for the help?

#4 ·
A couple months ago I was installing door panels and arm rests onto a '67 Firebird. They look the same as what you are working with. This car has reproduction doors on both sides. I found the passenger side door had the holes pre-drilled as Al has pictured above but the driver's side had no holes. And there is no dimpling of hole placement.

I noted the door panels had holes for the armrest mount to sit into. So after the door panel was in place I placed the armrest into position and used a transfer punch to mark the hole locations. Then I removed the door panel, drilled the holes, and reassembled. Be sure the door glass is up before drilling so you don't punch through and tap the glass. You could easily break the glass.

A correctly fitting transfer punch fits snugly, but not tight, into the armrest mounting hole and places the punch mark in the center. Here is an inexpensive set but they're available elsewhere.

https://www.harborfreight.com/28-pi...EfYli0WR2fGh2cNwnG8hWA0aEx3ZKgmkaAqJrEALw_wcB

Let us know how this works out for you.

#8 ·
Here's a couple of pictures to help you out. The extended portion of the armrest goes into the precut holes of the door panel. The screws go in at an upward angle. You can see the holes are slightly above the center point of the armrest holes.

The door panel needs to be in its final assembled location then let it guide you in installing the arm rest. You might be able to drill the holes based on this picture providing you respect the center-to-center distance between them.

Attachments

#9 ·
allanjs, Andrew69, Brico69 and Pete’s L84, thanks for all the pictures and ideas. Looks like allanjs was right, the donor door had a deluxe interior (it was stripped down when I bought it 5 years ago). I fitted the new door panel and marked the center of the precut holes and the scribe marks are right where they should be. That extra hole was just driving me crazy(er). Pete’s deluxe interior has the same hole so thanks for helping me out! Almost finished (if that ever happens) after 8 years. Thanks again!

Alan

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.