Finally finishing the *re-do* on my upholstery - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage
Finally finishing the *re-do* on my upholstery

This thread doesn't really have a question ... It's just a story. I hope that's OK.

It's my day off and I was up at 4:30am with nothing pressing to do.

My 67 has been with me quite a while, twenty-one years give or take a few months.

I decided to change the interior to the Deluxe version a long time ago. I purchased the correct interior side panels front and rear. the fronts went in early on and are fine. The rear armrests were never installed, nor was the narrower seat which was just the skeletal spring structure. I sandblasted them and coated them in paint for storage, so they would be clean and ready to go.

I sold the standard rear seat on eBay a long time ago and sadly, as I sit here this morning I can't remember the last time the car had a respectable rear passenger compartment in it.

I knew I wanted to re-do the upholstery in leather and I knew I wanted to stick to a somewhat stock appearance. I had replaced the front seats years ago with seats from a 1987 Camaro. I wanted something more comfortable and in particular that would recline, a feature that is more forgiving when it comes to head room clearance.

With the car's new coat of Capri Cream and black exterior trim paint I knew I wanted to stick to the theme inside as well. The basics of the interior ... dash and side rail around are black along with the front deluxe door panels. Of course I'll be doing the rear side panels in black leather and the seats will be black with a cream insert.

I was able to purchase a partial hide of cream color leather on eBay for just $28.00 plus $15.00 shipping ... total $43.00. Pretty hard to complain about that. I then found hides in black that are a perfect match to the surface grain pattern on the door panels. I had the seller send me samples to compare and they happily obliged. I purchased two hides for $149.00 each and free shipping. Total cost for leather $341.00, not bad considering it's top grade upholstery leather and exactly what I was hoping for.

I talked to a few shops about the work and settled on one in the mid-price estimate range. It is actually the same shop that did upholstery for me about 22 years ago for my Mach1. In talking to the manager of the shop it seems there no one there now (not even him) that was there then, so it isn't really like I'm going back to people I did business with in the past. This manager though was very impressive to talk to, he knows the trade well. His price to do the entire job was $1,150.00 which of course included the base material for the rear seat which as mentioned was just skeletal springs.

I had a few special requests for him, but overall it sticks to a very simple job. One thing is I wanted to stay away from any sort of *piping* on seams. He was perfectly fine doing a top stitch *French Seam* as needed in areas where piping might have gone. Before I mentioned it, he offered one idea I had actually considered. That was to do the rear side panels with vertical 1" channel pleats to match the design in the molded front door panels.

I have the rear side panels and the rear seat finished and in hand, but not installed. I am hoping to get the rear compartment done (or close to it) over my two days off here.

I'll get some PICs posted later. I grabbed the camera and discovered it needs a recharge on the battery, so I'm out of commission of that for the moment.

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage
Re: Finally finishing the *re-do* on my upholstery

Got the camera back in order...

This is what we did with the side panel pleats. I think this will match up better with what is on the front door panels.

DSC_1989 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

The armrests should be done today. They were done yesterday, but the padding on the top was too thin for my liking. They said they could put in something thicker and have them ready today.

The rear seat. Went with the horizontal 1" pleats similar the seat panels on a factory deluxe seat cover. Obviously not trying to create a reproduction look, just carry the basic theme.
DSC_1990 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Rear deck tray. I'll be replacing the 6 X 9 speakers in the back first thing today. The old ones have been there for 20 years and have suffered from the Mojave Desert heat.

DSC_1991 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Time to get to work here. Hopefully the next PIC of this stuff will be taken after it's all installed.

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode