This thread doesn't really have a question ... It's just a story. I hope that's OK.
It's my day off and I was up at 4:30am with nothing pressing to do.
My 67 has been with me quite a while, twenty-one years give or take a few months.
I decided to change the interior to the Deluxe version a long time ago. I purchased the correct interior side panels front and rear. the fronts went in early on and are fine. The rear armrests were never installed, nor was the narrower seat which was just the skeletal spring structure. I sandblasted them and coated them in paint for storage, so they would be clean and ready to go.
I sold the standard rear seat on eBay a long time ago and sadly, as I sit here this morning I can't remember the last time the car had a respectable rear passenger compartment in it.
I knew I wanted to re-do the upholstery in leather and I knew I wanted to stick to a somewhat stock appearance. I had replaced the front seats years ago with seats from a 1987 Camaro. I wanted something more comfortable and in particular that would recline, a feature that is more forgiving when it comes to head room clearance.
With the car's new coat of Capri Cream and black exterior trim paint I knew I wanted to stick to the theme inside as well. The basics of the interior ... dash and side rail around are black along with the front deluxe door panels. Of course I'll be doing the rear side panels in black leather and the seats will be black with a cream insert.
I was able to purchase a partial hide of cream color leather on eBay for just $28.00 plus $15.00 shipping ... total $43.00. Pretty hard to complain about that. I then found hides in black that are a perfect match to the surface grain pattern on the door panels. I had the seller send me samples to compare and they happily obliged. I purchased two hides for $149.00 each and free shipping. Total cost for leather $341.00, not bad considering it's top grade upholstery leather and exactly what I was hoping for.
I talked to a few shops about the work and settled on one in the mid-price estimate range. It is actually the same shop that did upholstery for me about 22 years ago for my Mach1. In talking to the manager of the shop it seems there no one there now (not even him) that was there then, so it isn't really like I'm going back to people I did business with in the past. This manager though was very impressive to talk to, he knows the trade well. His price to do the entire job was $1,150.00 which of course included the base material for the rear seat which as mentioned was just skeletal springs.
I had a few special requests for him, but overall it sticks to a very simple job. One thing is I wanted to stay away from any sort of *piping* on seams. He was perfectly fine doing a top stitch *French Seam* as needed in areas where piping might have gone. Before I mentioned it, he offered one idea I had actually considered. That was to do the rear side panels with vertical 1" channel pleats to match the design in the molded front door panels.
I have the rear side panels and the rear seat finished and in hand, but not installed. I am hoping to get the rear compartment done (or close to it) over my two days off here.
I'll get some PICs posted later. I grabbed the camera and discovered it needs a recharge on the battery, so I'm out of commission of that for the moment.