1Likes
  • 1 Post By hotrodbaker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

Seat Springs

Hey Guys,

Redoing my front seats on my 67 and found one broken spring in the center of the seat back. It broke on the radius. I dont feel I need to buy a whole new spring kit for one broken spring. I tried buying an 11ga zigzag spring off the internet but it was a different size. Anyone have advise, or maybe an old set they would be willing to offer up would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Wiley E. Coyote

Re: Seat Springs

Upholsstery shops can get all kinds of different stuff.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

Thats what i thought. I've called everyone / everywhere with no luck.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

How 'bout some brake line tubing bent to match the radius, then crimped on each end ? Or could probably weld a piece of heavy wire lapping over the existing spring.

Just some thoughts...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 19, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face Re: Seat Springs

My Back Seat was repaired with some of these. They are available in many sizes. 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 etc.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 19, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

Thats Funny Tom,

I have swage sleves in the shop and i never thought about using one..... My spring is broke in the radius so I'm not sure it will work but im going to check into it tonight. Great idea though!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 19, 09:52 AM
blm
Apprentice
Brad

There is a guy on the Chevelle site that sells the correct springs. Or he can sell one a little kit with other items needed to repair/redo a seat. Look up "Rambo", he even has a sticky or two in the interiors forum.
Or you can acquire just about any era GM seat and use it for donor springs. However with a seat you will get way more springs than you need. Just about all 60s/70's GM seats all used the same springs.
One advantage of using Rambo is if you send him your old broken spring or maybe even good clear pi ture he can bend/form the new spring so all you have to do is install the new spring with BW clips. He can even.sell you as many clips as you need.
He also has a website for seat restoration. Don't recall the Web address but think there is a link in his signature on Chevelle site.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 19, 07:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Send a message via AIM to hotrodbaker

Hey Ralph, message me to give address if you want this. It is a seat bottom spring i stole a couple side pieces from. You can have it for the postage to ship. Hard to see it has some reflection from shadow. I think one of the the long springs could be clipped together with your broken one. The spring has some clips on it that could be taken apart and reused.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2631.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	230067  
dale68z likes this.

67 RS SS 350 Butternut Yellow Vert all original 350 Muncie and 12 bolt.
67 RS Vert NOM 350 muncie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode