Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Garage
Partial headliner removal?

Is it possible to remove the headliner around the upper seatbelt mount?

I have 1 of the 2 seatbelt bolts that doesn't want to come out. I was wondering if I can pull that part of the headliner to help get some PB blaster or something on the back side of the bolt's threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 06:28 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: Partial headliner removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL SS View Post
Is it possible to remove the headliner around the upper seatbelt mount?

I have 1 of the 2 seatbelt bolts that doesn't want to come out. I was wondering if I can pull that part of the headliner to help get some PB blaster or something on the back side of the bolt's threads.
I donít think that would give you access to the back side of the bolt. And depending on how old your headliner is pulling it back will likely not go well imho.

Try an impact wrench on the bolt.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Impact driver. No, you won't be able to easily get to the back of the seatbelt mount bolt.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
Impact driver. No, you won't be able to easily get to the back of the seatbelt mount bolt.

It is a Phillip head screw. How can I use an impact driver? I would think it would strip the head in 1 second.

As of right now, it is not stripped, it just binds up at about 1/2 way out. I sprayed it with PB blaster and it turns easy but, still binds up.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I donít think that would give you access to the back side of the bolt. And depending on how old your headliner is pulling it back will likely not go well imho.

Try an impact wrench on the bolt.

Don

It's the original headliner so, I don't know if it would peel back or just rip.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
It is a Phillip head screw. How can I use an impact driver? I would think it would strip the head in 1 second.

As of right now, it is not stripped, it just binds up at about 1/2 way out. I sprayed it with PB blaster and it turns easy but, still binds up.
You don't need an impact driver if you already have it broken free. It's just a 1/2" head though, so you could easily put a torx bit on it if you wanted to. Torx bits can have a tendency to shear off though so you'd have to be careful.
I know you put PB Blaster on, but have you soaked it and tightened it back in a few times? If not, try that. I bet it'll come right out. Be careful of drips though. You'll want to keep a towel around the bolt if you have your interior in to catch the liquid.
If you pulled off the pinch weld molding, you could probably peal back the head liner and not have it tear. It doesn't sound like you really need to though and you might end up stretching it. If it's factory and in good condition, I'd leave it alone. It depends on a lot of things though. My factory one was nearly perfect when I started, but after following the rabbit down the hole, I ended up replacing it. I'm glad I did because there ended up being a huge mouse nest above the driver side visor that I never would have known was there outside of a smell...
EVL SS likes this.

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Garage

Quote:
You don't need an impact driver if you already have it broken free. It's just a 1/2" head though, so you could easily put a torx bit on it if you wanted to. Torx bits can have a tendency to shear off though so you'd have to be careful.
I know you put PB Blaster on, but have you soaked it and tightened it back in a few times? If not, try that. I bet it'll come right out. Be careful of drips though. You'll want to keep a towel around the bolt if you have your interior in to catch the liquid.
If you pulled off the pinch weld molding, you could probably peal back the head liner and not have it tear. It doesn't sound like you really need to though and you might end up stretching it. If it's factory and in good condition, I'd leave it alone. It depends on a lot of things though. My factory one was nearly perfect when I started, but after following the rabbit down the hole, I ended up replacing it. I'm glad I did because there ended up being a huge mouse nest above the driver side visor that I never would have known was there outside of a smell...

lol, I'm positive I have no mice so, at least I have that going for me!

Are you saying to hammer a torx head over the outside of the screw and let it bite into the head? Otherwise, my screw is not a hex or torx, it is a phillips head screw.

It looks like the prior owner tried to take it out and stopped half way out. I can turn it about 1/8 turn in and an 1/8 turn out. It locks up in both directions. After soaking it, it still turns the same amount but, just easier.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I think one of us is confused. Are you trying to get a Philips head screw out?

Semper Fi!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

It looks like you were trying to get a Philips head screw out and that I was confused. If so, an impact driver (not impact wrench or impact gun) if used carefully will get it past the point your stuck on. Without seeing it, it's tough to imagine what is making it stick. Rust? Peened over? Stripped? etc.

This is the tool I'm talking about if you don't know.

Dang slow connection... stand by.

Semper Fi!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Garage

Quote:
It looks like you were trying to get a Philips head screw out and that I was confused. If so, an impact driver (not impact wrench) if used carefully will get it past the point your stuck on. Without seeing it, it's tough to imagine what is making it stick. Rust? Peened over? Stripped? etc.

This is the tool I'm talking about if you don't know.

Yes, it is the Phillips screw(2 of them total) that holds the upper seat belt mount to the roof/pillar. Sorry, I can't post a picture. Something is up with this account..

I can get a fresh bit and try a impact screw gun. I am just nervous to strip the head and then I am really in a bad situation.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Yes, it is the Phillips screw(2 of them total) that holds the upper seat belt mount to the roof/pillar. Sorry, I can't post a picture. Something is up with this account..

I can get a fresh bit and try a impact screw gun. I am just nervous to strip the head and then I am really in a bad situation.
No, wrong tool. Hold on while I get a pic. You hit an impact driver with a hammer. I have a bad connection right now.

Semper Fi!

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:

After all the years of greatness, our Camaros.net site is going right down the hopper because all the ads are screwing everything up. Once I closed this site, a miracle occurred and my connection went back to normal.
Here is the tool I was talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Imp...233810&sr=8-11
EVL SS likes this.

Semper Fi!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Garage

Quote:
After all the years of greatness, our Camaros.net site is going right down the hopper because all the ads are screwing everything up. Once I closed this site, a miracle occurred and my connection went back to normal.
Here is the tool I was talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Imp...233810&sr=8-11

Ok yes, I tried one of those and it didn't budge. It wanted to start to strip and I have the right sized(and new) bit in there too.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Ok yes, I tried one of those and it didn't budge. It wanted to start to strip and I have the right sized(and new) bit in there too.
Is this the area you're talking about? This was how mine looked when I opened it up. If you wanted to get behind a bolt here, you could carefully pull off the sail panel cover. That's separate from the headliner and might give you access to where you need, but probably not. Even if you were to pull off the headliner without ruining it, you wouldn't be able to get behind the bolt. It's enclosed.

20131030_164340 by Dave H, on Flickr

Semper Fi!

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Garage

Quote:
Is this the area you're talking about? This was how mine looked when I opened it up. If you wanted to get behind a bolt here, you could carefully pull off the sail panel cover. That's separate from the headliner and might give you access to where you need, but probably not. Even if you were to pull off the headliner without ruining it, you wouldn't be able to get behind the bolt. It's enclosed.

20131030_164340 by Dave H, on Flickr

That's the area. I guess I will just keep soaking it and working it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode