Team Camaro Tech banner

TMI one piece headliner (very poor quality)

9K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Zedus 
#1 ·
Hi, I purchased this TMI product believing it to be a quality US product. Unfortunately, I have not experienced worse product quality. Headliner requested a few days of correction, I had to completely repair the back part and let the upholstery again. Finally I wanted to give pillars and they are totally bad. It does not fit as they should and I will have to order orignal plastic. I am from Europe, so I paid with shipping and taxes almost $ 1000 and I expected TOP quality. If someone made such a junk in my country, they would went bankrupt within a month.

See less See more
#2 ·
Al aka allanjs has a thread detailing how he reworked those a pillar covers.

Don

Reactions: allanjs
#4 ·
Reproduction original style covers are complete garbage too. At least the ones I have seen are.

Don

#5 ·
Garth, Thanks for posting that link. Zdenek, If you read through the link posted you'll see
how I reworked the pillar covers. You are correct they're not close to working as supplied.
As Don stated the reproduction pillar covers are bad and they won't work (I tried in vain)
with the TMI headliner anyway so save your money on those.

#8 ·
Thank you for the link. I would use the original, but unfortunately the right pillar is cracked and I didn't find any used in ebay that I could buy and give instead of TMI.

#6 ·
I had to trim some of the fiberglass backing from the forward part of the pillar posts and on the upper board (where the pinch molding holds it in. Nothing major but over all I am satisfied with it. It was much easier buying their piece (and doing small mods) than trying to cone up with it myself. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of aftermarket parts that need work to go in.

#10 ·
I reworked the pillars for mine.

I simply peeled the covering back, trimmed the fiberglass shell to proper fit and rewrapped the covering around it.

I did not consider it to be a big deal.

I'm no professional fabricator, but I have spent most of my life redoing all sorts of things to get them to my personal liking.

I posted a thread of my headliner project … it's here someplace. :wink2:

I should add: I did not see the quality of the product to be a problem at all. :smile2:

#11 ·
I should add: I did not see the quality of the product to be a problem at all. :smile2:

Sorry, but paying for $ 1,000 and proudly writing that it is "made in the US" and then getting that kind of junk? In my country, product controls may be much stricter than in the US. This product quality could never be put on the market. :frown2: I bought a finished product not expensive Lego.

#12 ·
Zdenek, I purchased the TMI headliner also. I ordered the headliner for my 69 Camaro. after having some fitment issues I looked on the pillar covers and noticed a different part number than what the 69 called for. It appears that what I was sent was a headliner for a 67/68. There is a difference. The distributor I purchased the headliner through notified TMI and it was confirmed that TMI sent the wrong headliner/A-pillar kit. They sent out another complete kit to me at no charge. The A-pillar covers are much closer than the first ones I received. If you need me to look back through my correspondence for the numbers to help you get a replacement headliner I will do that.

It is possible you received the wrong one and you should be sent the correct, quality part from our country.

Brett......

#13 ·
Zdenek, I purchased the TMI headliner also. I ordered the headliner for my 69 Camaro. after having some fitment issues I looked on the pillar covers and noticed a different part number than what the 69 called for. It appears that what I was sent was a headliner for a 67/68. There is a difference. The distributor I purchased the headliner through notified TMI and it was confirmed that TMI sent the wrong headliner/A-pillar kit. They sent out another complete kit to me at no charge. The A-pillar covers are much closer than the first ones I received. If you need me to look back through my correspondence for the numbers to help you get a replacement headliner I will do that.

It is possible you received the wrong one and you should be sent the correct, quality part from our country.

Brett......

Hi Brett, you would be so kind and look into your correspondence. See if I have the wrong piece too.

#14 ·
I had an issue with my TMI headliner install but it wasn’t what you would think. I have had my car for 25 years and know that it had had its roof replaced sometime before I bought it (was originally a vinyl top car). I ordered the 68 one and put it in. Besides the pillar post differences, there are visor location differences between the 67/8 and 68. My visor holes weren’t lining up with the holes in the board and the visors looked different (length and style). After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that someone had put a 69 roof in my 68. I called my vendor and TMI and they were more than willing to swap the parts I needed to make everything work. Although at times my opinion of TMI customer service has been lacking (while trying to research seats) I will say they stepped up that day and made it right (even if it wasn’t their fault).

#15 ·
Some of these 1st gens have been repaired at some point in their lives with the wrong year, or not so good aftermarket, Sheetmetal. This may not be the OP's issue and ideally it is a mispackaged headliner kit in his case. But certainly a WTF moment for those experiencing fitment issues for interior trim, etc. if they have a car with diffrent year sheetmetal.

A guy shows up at a cruise in his new to him 69 SS. It appeared to be a very nice restoration and high (over $40k) $ paid by the new owner. Closer inspection revealed it had 68 quarters (round wheel wells)....or a 68 with 69 doors and front end Sheetmetal. Didn't get a chance to see VIN or cowl tag as the new owner was quite upset and left after someone said out loud about the variance in Sheetmetal.

#16 ·
Some of these 1st gens have been repaired at some point in their lives with the wrong year, or not so good aftermarket, Sheetmetal. This may not be the OP's issue and ideally it is a mispackaged headliner kit in his case. But certainly a WTF moment for those experiencing fitment issues for interior trim, etc. if they have a car with diffrent year sheetmetal.

A guy shows up at a cruise in his new to him 69 SS. It appeared to be a very nice restoration and high (over $40k) $ paid by the new owner. Closer inspection revealed it had 68 quarters (round wheel wells)....or a 68 with 69 doors and front end Sheetmetal. Didn't get a chance to see VIN or cowl tag as the new owner was quite upset and left after someone said out loud about the variance in Sheetmetal.

Last owner that had my Z painted back in 1986 did a PERFORATED head liner...it looks OK...though not original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.