• 1 Post By allanjs
  • 1 Post By yellow69RS
  • 1 Post By allanjs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69 Top Dash panel

Hi I have been reading for days and can't find a direct answer
I have some rust on the top dash panel in my 69 to replace i know the windshield would have to come out and there would be some welding dose anyone know if the fenders need to come off or a way to patch it i am not a body guy and the car is a driver not show car all of the videos that i have watched have the car totally stripped down
I do drive the car but the previous owner had black vinyl on the dash to cover it up
any ideas would be great thanks !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: 69 Top Dash panel

If you're replacing the complete dash top then yes the fenders will be in the way.
Kelcel likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
If you're replacing the complete dash top then yes the fenders will be in the way.
Thanks for that i have seen videos where they trim that new panel a bit
I did look under the cowl and all is good there

do you think that's posable ? Thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 05:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

IMO no. You at least need to be sure the rust doesn't extend under the fenders.

Jeff
Kelcel likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Al

You could start by staying away from the fenders but like Jeff said, be sure the rust
doesn't extend under the fenders. You may be able to slide the front sheet metal
forward enough to access anything needed. I wouldn't try to do anything with the
hood in place though.
Kelcel likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 19, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
You could start by staying away from the fenders but like Jeff said, be sure the rust
doesn't extend under the fenders. You may be able to slide the front sheet metal
forward enough to access anything needed. I wouldn't try to do anything with the
hood in place though.

Thanks for the info before i dive into this can you tell me if i have the cowl panel off is there anyway to find out how far the rust goes should i see it or is it hidden Thanks Again for the help !!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 19, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Al

After removing the cowl vent panel about all you can do is start tapping with a screw driver or such.
Hopefully it wasn't just bondo'd over or similar. Rust has a way of spreading underneath panels. You'll
know more after removing the windshield. If you can post some pics it would be helpful. Kind of sounds
like you're concerned about opening a can of worms and it is possible so be prepared for the worst.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 19, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
After removing the cowl vent panel about all you can do is start tapping with a screw driver or such.
Hopefully it wasn't just bondo'd over or similar. Rust has a way of spreading underneath panels. You'll
know more after removing the windshield. If you can post some pics it would be helpful. Kind of sounds
like you're concerned about opening a can of worms and it is possible so be prepared for the worst.
Thanks Again here are a couple pics looks like someone did try and fix it with bondo

Last edited by Kelcel; Dec 30th, 19 at 10:13 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 19, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Yep. You're in for more than just the dash top. At minimum the upper cowl is going
to need some attention. Might as well pull the front sheet metal and dig in.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I have zero experience with welding or body work until I replaced my rusted dash. Not real hard, just take your time and practice, practice, practice welding first if you want to do it yourself. Or you could remove it, get it all good and let a pro weld it. Take lots of pictures and measurements with old dash still on. My dash was really bad, sections totally rusted away with nice size holes but the metal underneath was actually fine, just surface rust, go figure...Be careful drilling out old spot welds, don't want to leave a hole but if you do you can fill it with the welder. They make special bits for that.

I would think if you tried to patch it you would see the work but again, I am no body guy. I guess with a steady hand you could grind the welds down to match the rest of the dash. They do it all the time on other body panels but think they use filler also to hide any imperfections?

And if you haven't already, check your floor boards. Leaky windshield means standing water on floor.

1969, 350 "Beast", M20, Nothing Fancy, Nothing Pretty, But Sure is Fun!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode