Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dhutton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Kenny

1969 Firewall Access for Sound Deadening

I'm getting ready to install sound deadening this weekend and want to really make sure the firewall gets thoroughly treated. The car is a fully-assembled and operating vehicle, so it's not in pieces with easy access to everything. My question is what is the best way to remove enough "stuff" like the heater box, cables, etc. so I can access the interior side of the firewall itself for treatment? Anyone out there that has installed sound deadening (and thermal insulation for that matter) on a finished vehicle that can offer some input? Any tricks, or things to avoid, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 07:16 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: 1969 Firewall Access for Sound Deadening

Thatíll be fun....

An exercise in the law of diminishing returns right there....

Don
bhodgdon400 likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 07:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

For you to make it worth doing, in my opinion, you have to almost strip the entire interior. Carpet ,console,seats, heater box,kick panels, all of those need to be removed and treated for it to make it worth the trouble. I did my underside roof inside the doors, firewall, floor, and kick panels. I used the 2 step "sound and heat" lizard skin and then covered with dynamat. Don't know you will notice much difference doing just the firewall. Floor gets hot too.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

I was goin to say the same as the others, your car wont be
"a fully-assembled and operating vehicle" for awhile, if you do that the right way.

Take the front seats out and get under there and start removing stuff, may as well rehab your heater if it's been in there a long while. Are you installing a new firewall pad since you have your firewall exposed ?

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Kenny

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I should have been more clear, I'm not planning on just sound deadening and heat insulating the firewall, I'm removing the entire interior (front and rear seats, carpet, console, etc) and intend to both heat insulate and sound deaden the entire interior and trunk. And yeah, I'm certain it won't be a fully functional vehicle for a period of time! I was just focusing on the firewall on this post since the engine bay is a significant source of both noise and heat and that's seems to be the hard area to access. I bought the car as a fairly recent nut-and-bolt restored vehicle so I won't know what will need replaced, if anything, (firewall mat, heater core, etc) but everything is clean and flawless; I just want it to be more quiet! So, with that additional information, anyone with suggestions on accessing the interior firewall?

Kenny
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 09:36 AM
Kevin

Kenny, to do a good job, you have to take out the glove box, heater, accel pedal, brake booster, steering column and support, ebrake, both kick panels, defrost duct and the electrical harnesses. Pretty much everything which is bolted or screwed to the firewall area

These pics are after I put the deadener on the firewall and put back the pad, duct and kicks.

Kevin

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 09:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

If you don’t have the factory assembly manual, I buy or download it. I never worked on a Camaro before, with the exception of the glass, I completely disassembled and reassembled my car with that manual. Very helpful.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 03:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Kenny, to do a good job, you have to take out the glove box, heater, accel pedal, brake booster, steering column and support, ebrake, both kick panels, defrost duct and the electrical harnesses. Pretty much everything which is bolted or screwed to the firewall area

These pics are after I put the deadener on the firewall and put back the pad, duct and kicks.

These images sure answered one of the questions I had on if you install the deadener under the firewall pad. Another question I have, and others can chime in, did you also apply the sound deadener product inside the doors, and if so did you install it on the entire inside of the outer door skin (IML in aircraft jargon)?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 04:35 PM
Kevin

I did not apply the foil sound deadener to the inside of the doors, the factory coating was still on there and was a rough surface. I did apply more spray undercoating to the door where the factory skimped

Kevin

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 08:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

It seems like it's always 1 step forward two steps back. I'm in the middle of installing the AAW update harness and ran across this thread. I just finished up rewiring the instrument cluster and was looking forward to reassembling the dash and getting this thing running again. Was looking at the options for insulating the firewall and looks like to do it right I'll need to take it apart a few more notches. I just wrestled that brake booster back on too. E brake and drive kick panel are already out so at least I didn't get too far along.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode