Pics of 68 deluxe front seats redone - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Pics of 68 deluxe front seats redone

I am trying to get aftermarket black deluxe seat covers for my 68 Camaro that look close to the oem used back when the cars were built. I have searched and have not come up with anything that looks good. I hope you guys and girls can post a pic of your seat bottoms close up enough to see the closeness to the original style. My problem is that I bought a set back in 2015 and put them away in my attic. The box had Legendary on it so I thought I was good. As time went on, the 1/4 inch seam crack had got bigger. A big guy at a car show sat in my car ( I saw him getting out) and made the seam crack/tear to about 4 inches long. I was pissed but only yelled at him. Well...here we are, the seat upholstery in the Legendary box was a no name junk covering. Plese show me your Deluxe seats and let me know what brand they are. Pics of the OEM passenger seat and the aftermarket junk below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OEMseat.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	232871   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMseat.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	232873  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Pics of 68 deluxe front seats redone

OK....nobody on here with a Deluxe Interior in a 68 Camaro ? After contacting many interior manufactures with only one out of 7 responding (none here) , I have ordered what looks like the best of the bunch seen online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClassicIndBest.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	233017  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

Garage

Kevin,
Those are pretty nice.
I often thought I might change mine to Deluxe interior. Who did you decide on getting them from?

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Ray, I ordered them from Classic Industries, part number # K1006800201 which are reaching me this Wednesday . I will inspect and let you know how they are. They are having a sale with 25% off if you use code DWN20 but it ends today at midnight. total cost after discount was $314.89 Made in USA Complete upholstery sets included covers for both the front and rear seats. I only need the drivers seat (bottom) and will sell the drivers bucket seat back, passenger seat complete and the rear seat complete as my originals are all good except for a small ripped area in the pleating on the drivers seat. I will post the results on the quality after they come in.

Kev
rgwiz likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 05:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

These are PUI covers from Heartbeat City.

I would be concerned that even tho the covers you purchased appear to be the same as what is in your car, what is your plan if they are not? Are you really going to keep all of the older original and one new cover? I am betting you will wind up selling the original covers and installing the new, matched set of seat covers, but I hope not.

Brett.....

Rockets Up In 2020! Inaugural Launch Date: 9/16/2020 - Vandenberg AFB Pad SLC-2W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

Garage

I see TMI, Diststinctive, and Legendary in the CI catalog.

Guessing also the higher end performance seats and leather kits are not in the same league as the run of the mill popular catalogs choice.

Good luck Kevin keep us posted.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
James

First of all, someone sat in your car uninvited at a car show? That is crazy.

I think you will find that it will be difficult to replace only the bottom drivers side cover. For starters, the foam will disintegrate when you take it apart and no cover will fit properly. Now is the time to completely redo the drivers seat, you will appreciate it later.

Also, if this is original upholstery, could you confirm the position of the emblems on the seat back for me? I am redoing mine and want to make sure i have the correct position. I have 4" from seam to the center of the emblem. Is that what you have?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Ragtop View Post

Also, if this is original upholstery, could you confirm the position of the emblems on the seat back for me? I am redoing mine and want to make sure i have the correct position. I have 4" from seam to the center of the emblem. Is that what you have?
https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...at-emblem.html

Good luck on the match, Kevin ! I thought I was gonna keep my original rear seat , but being houndstooth, it was pretty obvious it was 45yrs older than the new buckets. I still have the original passenger bucket seat cover in pretty nice shape.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 10:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Classic Industries's go to is Distinctive - I have purchased more than one set and these seem to be their vendor of choice. I purchased a ton of stuff for my car from them and not a single item was PUI.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...at-emblem.html

Good luck on the match, Kevin ! I thought I was gonna keep my original rear seat , but being houndstooth, it was pretty obvious it was 45yrs older than the new buckets. I still have the original passenger bucket seat cover in pretty nice shape.
I read that thread and watched the video. He says 4" but those emblems look a little bit high and that is repro upholstery. I had a friend measure his original and he has 3 1/2" so there is a discrepancy.

Looking for a confirmation if any one has ORIGINAL 68 deluxe upholstery. Thanks.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Ragtop View Post
I read that thread and watched the video. He says 4" but those emblems look a little bit high and that is repro upholstery. I had a friend measure his original and he has 3 1/2" so there is a discrepancy.

Looking for a confirmation if any one has ORIGINAL 68 deluxe upholstery. Thanks.
Sorry, I hadn't seen the video. 2 1/8" measured from the bottom of the emblem on my factory originals.

VitaminC likes this.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Nice looking car Garth.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Thanks, if you like lots of bling, 68 deluxe interiors are hard to beat !

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 03:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Sorry, I hadn't seen the video. 2 1/8" measured from the bottom of the emblem on my factory originals.

That houndstooth interior makes me wet.
Garfields Maro likes this.

'68 RS
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Thanks. The emblem is 2.5 inches so that makes the center 3 3/8" from the seam. That is pretty close to the 3 1/2" measured on the other original interior.

I think that video is wrong. Wonder how many misplacements that has caused as it was the first thing I found on this site when I searched for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode