What was I thinking......? - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

What was I thinking......?

Let's go back to the fall of 2012 when for the first time I bought my first Camaro a 1969. This car was modified for competition road racing, roll cage, racing seats w/4-pt. harness, torque arm, 4 wheel disc, 5-spd.....etc.
Without ever sitting in a 1st Gen Camaro before I had nothing to compare the differences to a stock interior. As I continue my quest to own another 1st Gen I found a super nice 67 just outside of Cincinnati, OH. Made the trip Thursday afternoon with allot of anticipation thinking this is it I finally found what I was looking for...421 HP custom built racing engine, Tremec 5-spd with console, 12 bolt posi, 3.42, Traction bars, Cowl hood, spoiler, Tuxedo Black, stock interior, solid, solid body. Note: The owner a 75 yr old. who builds HP engines of all cubic inches as a hobby/business mentioned the only reason he was considering selling was on account he had a bad knee and working the clutch lately was now a painful process. So he agreed to cut it loose with reservation. I knew all this before making the road trip. I had a number in my head that I wasn't going to come off of regardless.
So back to the meet and greet...well after he started that engine I knew I just might get to own this beast. After crawling all over and under the car I began to settle into the drivers seat which btw had a tilt wheel I quickly realized something wasn't right. The top of my head literally touching the head liner. I recalled I didn't experience this with the other car. So what was different. The owner said "Have you never sat in a 1st gen Camaro before" I said I owned one in the past. What immediately came to mind was the fact my former car had aftermarket racing seats which apparently sit lower than the factory buckets in the '67. Here I am wanting this car and the owner reluctantly agreed to my offer and now I can't even comfortably sit in the car. Now I'm 5' 11" 235 lbs. large but not large by some standards. The owner was all of 5' 5" has owned dozens of hotrods. I was at a big time crossroads I can't buy this car because I'm to big in stature....REALLY! How many men my size bought these 1st gen cars and squeezed themselves in the cockpit. The GM buckets are a non-adjustable one size fit all concept. What was I thinking?????????
Having cervical surgery last summer I couldn't even imagine hitting a bump in the road and compressing my neck all because I wanted a 1st gen Camaro. So much to my dismay I had to walk away. Needless to say it was a long trip home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Re: What was I thinking......?

Try squeezing in to a C3 Vette. That was my plan, build a C3, then I actually sat in one.. NOPE! SO I went back to my first love, A 1st Gen Camaro .. I'm 6' 260 with wide shoulders

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 06:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Pro Street View Post
Let's go back to the fall of 2012 when for the first time I bought my first Camaro a 1969. This car was modified for competition road racing, roll cage, racing seats w/4-pt. harness, torque arm, 4 wheel disc, 5-spd.....etc.
Without ever sitting in a 1st Gen Camaro before I had nothing to compare the differences to a stock interior. As I continue my quest to own another 1st Gen I found a super nice 67 just outside of Cincinnati, OH. Made the trip Thursday afternoon with allot of anticipation thinking this is it I finally found what I was looking for...421 HP custom built racing engine, Tremec 5-spd with console, 12 bolt posi, 3.42, Traction bars, Cowl hood, spoiler, Tuxedo Black, stock interior, solid, solid body. Note: The owner a 75 yr old. who builds HP engines of all cubic inches as a hobby/business mentioned the only reason he was considering selling was on account he had a bad knee and working the clutch lately was now a painful process. So he agreed to cut it loose with reservation. I knew all this before making the road trip. I had a number in my head that I wasn't going to come off of regardless.
So back to the meet and greet...well after he started that engine I knew I just might get to own this beast. After crawling all over and under the car I began to settle into the drivers seat which btw had a tilt wheel I quickly realized something wasn't right. The top of my head literally touching the head liner. I recalled I didn't experience this with the other car. So what was different. The owner said "Have you never sat in a 1st gen Camaro before" I said I owned one in the past. What immediately came to mind was the fact my former car had aftermarket racing seats which apparently sit lower than the factory buckets in the '67. Here I am wanting this car and the owner reluctantly agreed to my offer and now I can't even comfortably sit in the car. Now I'm 5' 11" 235 lbs. large but not large by some standards. The owner was all of 5' 5" has owned dozens of hotrods. I was at a big time crossroads I can't buy this car because I'm to big in stature....REALLY! How many men my size bought these 1st gen cars and squeezed themselves in the cockpit. The GM buckets are a non-adjustable one size fit all concept. What was I thinking?????????
Having cervical surgery last summer I couldn't even imagine hitting a bump in the road and compressing my neck all because I wanted a 1st gen Camaro. So much to my dismay I had to walk away. Needless to say it was a long trip home.

Did you take any pictures? There's something amiss here. I'm every bit of 6'1" and have plenty of room in my '67 with stock bucket seats. I even have a full head of wiry hair that sticks straight up most of the time that doesn't touch the roof.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech

I am 6'2" with stock re-upholstered 67 seats that are on extender slides which raise the seats at least 1/2" if not more and my head just misses the headliner

Not sure what is going on with the car OP saw....but at his height there should not have been a issue unless the stock seats were really plumped up with foam and if that was the case some could be removed

Granted cabin space is on the snug side in 1st gens
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Torso to leg length ratios do vary so just because one person of a given height fits it doesn’t guarantee all persons of that height do....

Some seat track extenders would have made a difference....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

I do have a little more upper torso but marginal at best. Gentlemen, I didn't see anything but a set of stock period correct bucket seats. Don't know how track extenders would have made a difference....with the seat positioned for me the steering wheel was at my preferred distance and the gearshift knob was perfect...not having to reach for each gear selection. It's just that the hair on my head was compressed...didn't feel right at all.
The headliner appeared correct...fitted/tight zero sag.

I was dumbfound.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

Don't know what to say....I'm 6' and weigh 220. I fit like a glove. Pictures would help show the story.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Yes, pictures would have helped. To my ignorance I didn't even think to take a flashlight and take a closer look at the seat tracks....who knows maybe they were raised (spacers) for PO fitment. That's a real possibility.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

Yeah if the guy was only 5'5" maybe something was done to the seat that was not obvious to the naked eye.
md z and Daddio65 like this.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Just spoke with seller. The only thing that might be slightly different is the seats have been refoamed w/new coverings. There has been no alterations of the seat tracks.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 09:56 AM
Apprentice
Bob

I have a 69 and my height is 6’ with plenty of head room. During the summer I sometimes use a seat cushion and still have plenty of head room. I do have seat extenders.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 10:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Pro Street View Post
Just spoke with seller. The only thing that might be slightly different is the seats have been refoamed w/new coverings. There has been no alterations of the seat tracks.
He obviously put in extra thick foam!

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

I don't know about extra thick foam but a close cell dense foam for sure. Although the covering on both the seat and back didn't appear to be bulging for a lack of a better description. A #$+*#$* seat has kept me from buying a very nice '67 Camaro. And here again I've owned cars with aftermarket seats ....had a '67 Chevelle SS that was missing its factory astro buckets...had something out of Summit Racing. I like factory seats in these late sixties muscle cars. But they certainly weren't made for comfort....especially for a 60+ year old with a bad back. lol
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech

comfy seats or not...a 1st gen is not a smooth ride compared to a modern car nor is the "stock" seat as supportive especially if back pain is part of the users condition

Op if the glove doesn't fit than you have to pass. Hope you find one that does
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 20, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
John

What's stopping you from just swapping out the seats?

If the car is all there, that's what I would do. You're going to spend some time in the driver's seat, you might as well be comfortable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode