Can you tell which is OEM or Aftermarket ? - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Can you tell which is OEM or Aftermarket ?

Which picture below is of a 1968 Camaro Deluxe seat ? Is one or both OEM ? Are both Aftermarket? What is your opinion on this? Thanks......
Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_5203REVERSE.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	233649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	233651  

Last edited by SixtyAte; Mar 25th, 20 at 07:39 AM. Reason: error in picture upload
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Can you tell which is OEM or Aftermarket ?

Is this some sort of test Kevin?? Man, I hope not. I didn't study at all!!

However (my opinion only), is that the driver seat is original and the passenger seat has a repop seat cover on it, and possibly repop foam.

Of course, like I said, I didn't study at all so I may have just pooped the test!

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 09:07 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

They both look older with lots of vinyl protection spray along with age making them look shiny. The headrests (can't see real clearly) lead me to believe both are original. If they are repro they are older...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Thanks Ed and Dennis....Both are great replies.

I will wait a few days to uncover the truth

Kev
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 01:00 PM
Team Member
John

Who cares, they both look great!!!!!

1969 Camaro

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

The only reason I said that the passenger side seat looks to be repop is because of the "poofyness" of the seat bottom. The driver side appears to be more "factory".

Ed

CRG -
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcGc View Post
Who cares, they both look great!!!!!
Ahhh..... that is what I like to read! 1968 with Deluxe Seats w/headrests Here is the back seat (fold down)

Results in a few days.

Kev
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_5202.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	233705  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertfam View Post
The only reason I said that the passenger side seat looks to be repop is because of the "poofyness" of the seat bottom. The driver side appears to be more "factory".

Ed
Good observation Ed but ......
So the puffy or poofyness makes it look different? I like your answer. So factory seats with one having a more puffy look.

Kev
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 04:57 PM
Team Member
John

I'm sure the driver seat gets more *** time then the passenger seat which would explain the "puffiness" of the passenger seat. Both seats look great.

1969 Camaro

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

First off.....I was not trying to trick anyone here with their opinion and thank your guys for your honest thoughts. This was an experiment showing my 68 original deluxe seats of which I have been looking for a OEM seat bottom for many years. The original drivers seat bottom was spit/ripped by an overweight guy at a car show who I caught sitting in my car at a car show. He got out and gave me a dumb look like "WHAT" and I was furious but kept my cool.

During the time trying to find a OEM new or good used drivers seat bottom, I purchased a few seat covers from various manufacturers who state things like High Quality and Original Equipment Style and/or Direct Replacement of original seating. Funny or sad thing is that Ray Charles could tell the difference between the OEM and what these companies professed as what I typed above....simply like the originals. I would be ashamed to say something like that if I were these manufacturers.

During the years I kept one set I bought off Ebay where again they were poor quality, but a complete set for cheap. I was told car was stolen and so he did not need the interior kit anymore. After the season ended last year, I removed the seat, and purchased a "Just Like OEM " seat set again pictured on their website because it looked great and I was assured by the sales staff it was by far the best on the market and matched an original interior.It was garbage and I shipped it back the next day. So ..I decided to put the Ebay bottom on my drivers seat and try to get my torn original bottom fixed. No luck of getting it fixed.

I tried getting to the bottom of this and sent emails to Legendary Interiors of which I never got a return reply (even to this day) so I called them as asked for a sample of the seat material and pleating. He said they were too busy to return my emails and would send a sample to me. ...about 8 weeks ago, way before the pandemic. Never sent me anything. I sent a email to Legendary Motorcars asking them who they feel who makes the best interiors. They told me its Legendary Interiors. I ordered a set of front deluxe covers (will not sell one seat or just the bottom) The end result is in the pictures I posted.

I played a trick and reversed the images to get an honest view of what the thoughts were and was happy with the replies. Figuring it would be telltale if the drivers seat bottom was replaced. Trying to match something newly made to a 50 plus year interior is hard to do, but I think that " Made In The U.S.A " Legendary Interiors has done just that.Thanks guys on your opinions. Ed, could not fool you but you had positive opinion that made me fell the seat cover replacement will fool most lookers BTW.. I did fool you on the reversed images.

Dennis...thanks as your opinion was also valued as with Ed's years of experience of the Camaro. I did fool you but its your honest opinion and pictures are deceiving. As state above only the drivers seat bottom (passenger side in photos reversed ) has been changed. All other seat covers and headrests are original. Glad it was hard to tell the originals from the aftermarket covers. John...heck, your posts on how nice my original deluxe interior told me that I made the right choice in keeping the interior even with the replaced seat bottom. Pics below of correct seat positions.

Kev
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LegendarySeatNew.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	233723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_5203.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	233725  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 04:36 AM
Team Member
John

1969 Camaro

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Ah! Tricky Mr Moto!!

And yesterday afternoon, I got to thinking about the "poffyness" of these seats when they were new, and decided to start looking at all the brochures, sales albums, etc... and found that when they were fresh off the showroom floor, they were more "poofy" than I remembered (see attached)!

So what you have there, re: the driver's seat, appears to be correct.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Seat.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	233727  

CRG -
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 11:33 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post

Dennis...thanks as your opinion was also valued as with Ed's years of experience of the Camaro. I did fool you but its your honest opinion and pictures are deceiving. As state above only the drivers seat bottom (passenger side in photos reversed ) has been changed. All other seat covers and headrests are original. Glad it was hard to tell the originals from the aftermarket covers. John...heck, your posts on how nice my original deluxe interior told me that I made the right choice in keeping the interior even with the replaced seat bottom. Pics below of correct seat positions.

Kev
But I said they look orig or if repro they are older ones... lol...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I'm on my second set of Legendary '67 deluxe covers and foams and there are still problems. They replaced the first set of covers at no cost due to manufacturing defects. Installation labor is wasted.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertfam View Post
Ah! Tricky Mr Moto!!

And yesterday afternoon, I got to thinking about the "poffyness" of these seats when they were new, and decided to start looking at all the brochures, sales albums, etc... and found that when they were fresh off the showroom floor, they were more "poofy" than I remembered (see attached)!

So what you have there, re: the driver's seat, appears to be correct.

Ed
Thanks Ed for you doing research on this. Even with some flaws, Legendary Deluxe Seat covers are close to OEM out there. I feel good having that seat bottom next to my original interior. I did notice the red interior had crank windows and no headrests however looked real sharp.

Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode