Refurbish factory manual windows or upgrade to power windows? - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Refurbish factory manual windows or upgrade to power windows?

The topic pretty much says it. I am at the point where the felts need replacing and I am sure other stuff. The manuals windows work decent but the glass rattles around and sometimes they stick.

This is a 69. I actually live about 5 miles from Nu-Relics but I have heard they are not a "drop in". I don't want a big project...lol. Just want the windows to work well again.

Would love to hear anyone's feedback on window restoration.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, street car, Water/Meth injection
1.302 60', 5.956 @ 116.4 Super Sniper EFI 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 02:31 PM
Kevin

Re: Refurbish factory manual windows or upgrade to power windows?

Greg, most of the issues you describe are in the tracks and other things. They will still happen after a PW replacement, since you are only changing the crank mech with the motor mech. Mostly balky window operation is dried grease. You have to remove the tracks, clean and re- grease. You might also have worn sliders which would have to be replaced whether PW or crank.

In my opinion, keep the crank up windows and just R+R them with new grease and parts eval. By doing that you will not miss drilling holes for the electric and troubleshooting all that. KISS, ya know

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Greg, most of the issues you describe are in the tracks and other things. They will still happen after a PW replacement, since you are only changing the crank mech with the motor mech. Mostly balky window operation is dried grease. You have to remove the tracks, clean and re- grease. You might also have worn sliders which would have to be replaced whether PW or crank.

In my opinion, keep the crank up windows and just R+R them with new grease and parts eval. By doing that you will not miss drilling holes for the electric and troubleshooting all that. KISS, ya know
This is what I did with mine, when I bought the car the windows rattled like crazy and operated poorly.
I took the regulators out and cleaned and re-greased the tracks etc. It made operation night and day better. The rattling still was there until I replaced the felt, wear items and weather stripping, that cured the rattle.

I'm not going to lie, when I have to lean across my passenger seat to roll the window down and adjust the mirror, I do miss the occasional modern conveniences...

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Sounds good guys! I am a keep it simple kind of guy. Should I order parts ahead of time or take it apart first and see what I need?

i.e. is there a typical rebuild kit list of parts?

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, street car, Water/Meth injection
1.302 60', 5.956 @ 116.4 Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 07:51 PM
Apprentice
Don

Garage

If your gonna not go with PW, remove the tracks, clean and re- grease. Otherwise, one step from that if your that far into, replace the guides and hardware. Then next step from there.. tracks. I just got done doing the PW conversion from nu-relics and I will say, there are...NICE! simple install really. Quite too. I had to scratch my head on how to mount the nu-cranks since I wanted to look factory roll up.

Good luck.

FYI here is my thread abut my install

https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...-question.html

1968 SS Camaro
396 SB 510hp -528tq stroker
TKO 600 5 speed
9" Rearend W/ 3.73
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 01:31 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
Sounds good guys! I am a keep it simple kind of guy. Should I order parts ahead of time or take it apart first and see what I need?

I have not seen a kit. But window felts are a must. Clean and grease the tracks real good. Regulators as well 50 year old grease gets hard. I have some NOS window cranks if you need them.

CHP: Replacing Your Window Regulators
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:

Window felts for sure, and in my kit there were felt pads for the piece that sort of supports the window in the middle as it goes down, mine needed those. The reality is it's a flat piece of fabric glued to metal so you could make it.

I had to replace a bad regulator, but otherwise the parts were all good they just needed to be cleaned and re greased. The rollers on one of the rear windows on mine were bad on one window though.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 20, 09:03 AM
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:

Greg, a little late to the party on this one.

I have Nu-Relics in my doors and I'm actually quite pleased with them. You will have to mod the sash track and forward sash stud on the glass to clear the back of the regulator but that's minor. The instructions fully have a How-To on doing that. Having power windows can make it a little more tricky when you get adjusting the glass as you cant really "gradually" go up or down with the glass like you can with a manual regulator. But the process is still the same.

Regarding the internal parts, before you order anything get the door panel off and water shield (if its still there) and evaluate your issue. Like others said, sticking/binding could be a lubrication issue and the rattling you will need to diag that first. There might seem like a lot of moving parts in there but honestly its quite simple when you understand how it all works.

Any questions, post pics and/or progress

1969 Camaro RS/SS H/C/I LS1/60E - In Progress
1969 Camaro Z/28 - Next In Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode