Team Camaro Tech banner

Refurbish factory manual windows or upgrade to power windows?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  2BFAST 
#1 ·
The topic pretty much says it. I am at the point where the felts need replacing and I am sure other stuff. The manuals windows work decent but the glass rattles around and sometimes they stick.

This is a 69. I actually live about 5 miles from Nu-Relics but I have heard they are not a "drop in". I don't want a big project...lol. Just want the windows to work well again.

Would love to hear anyone's feedback on window restoration.

#2 ·
Greg, most of the issues you describe are in the tracks and other things. They will still happen after a PW replacement, since you are only changing the crank mech with the motor mech. Mostly balky window operation is dried grease. You have to remove the tracks, clean and re- grease. You might also have worn sliders which would have to be replaced whether PW or crank.

In my opinion, keep the crank up windows and just R+R them with new grease and parts eval. By doing that you will not miss drilling holes for the electric and troubleshooting all that. KISS, ya know :)

#3 ·
This is what I did with mine, when I bought the car the windows rattled like crazy and operated poorly.
I took the regulators out and cleaned and re-greased the tracks etc. It made operation night and day better. The rattling still was there until I replaced the felt, wear items and weather stripping, that cured the rattle.

I'm not going to lie, when I have to lean across my passenger seat to roll the window down and adjust the mirror, I do miss the occasional modern conveniences...:smile2:

#4 ·
Sounds good guys! I am a keep it simple kind of guy. Should I order parts ahead of time or take it apart first and see what I need?

i.e. is there a typical rebuild kit list of parts?

#5 ·
If your gonna not go with PW, remove the tracks, clean and re- grease. Otherwise, one step from that if your that far into, replace the guides and hardware. Then next step from there.. tracks. I just got done doing the PW conversion from nu-relics and I will say, there are...NICE! simple install really. Quite too. I had to scratch my head on how to mount the nu-cranks since I wanted to look factory roll up.

Good luck.

FYI here is my thread abut my install

https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-interiors/466793-nu-relics-nu-cranks-install-question.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.