1968 Gauge Cluster Cloudiness - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1968 Gauge Cluster Cloudiness

Hello all,

First post, been a long time lurker. My mostly stock 68 has very cloudy gauge clusters that I am trying to clean up, what is the best way to get these cleared up without having to take the housing completely off and disconnect the cluster?

I am hoping that the cloudiness is on the outside of the glass/plastic and not the inside, I attached pictures to the post to show you what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash cluster 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	233819  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage
Re: 1968 Gauge Cluster Cloudiness

Have you tried using soapy water first? If that doesn't work don't be afraid to take the gauge cluster apart. It is only a few screws. It is pretty easy and doesn't take very long.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I tried soapy water and even olive oil, but it doesn't seem to come off.

I also looked at the AIM for the part, looks like there are a good amount of connections on the back, does the cover come off the actual gauges or does the whole assembly have to come off? Sorry, I'm a motorcycle guy, a lot of this stuff is new.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

On my 69, you can remove the gauges and then access the lenses. I can leave everything connected, but it's obviously a littler easier to work on if you remove the connectors. I am assuming it should be a similar process with your 68. If you can get the lenses out you can probably just use a headlight polishing kit, or something similar.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

You could try a plastic polish such as Novus https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-PC-10-P...s%2C272&sr=8-3 , otherwise you'll have to disassemble. It's not too difficult. Repro lenses are readily available...https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...-Without-Tach/

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 05:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

My lens was not as bad as GlacierBlue68's but was cloudy and scratched enough that I didn't want it going back in a restored car looking that way.

My gage cluster was already apart so it was easy to work on the lens. I used three steps on mine. I started with Novus #3, then went to Novus #2, and finished with Mequiars's PlastX. It came out like new. It would have been hard for me to do with the lens installed....getting the polish all the way to the edges of the lens and not getting any of it on the housing. I don't have a before picture, just the attached after picture.

Before I did this, I tried two reproductions. They were both OER. I bought one and it was terrible. I sent it back and got another one. The second one was just as bad. That was about five years ago though. Maybe there's better stuff out there today.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 06:19 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Pretty much a plug and play deal....not really hard.

I think the hardest part for me was lowering the steering column ? (not much really)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 08:48 PM
Tech Team
John Paige

Mothers mag & aluminum polish followed up by plexus does a nice job. Also works well on tail lights, parking lights etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS SS Conv, yes it's real
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Pretty much a plug and play deal....not really hard.

I think the hardest part for me was lowering the steering column ? (not much really)
I had to disconnect the speedo cable first as it wasn't long enough after partially pulling the carrier assembly out (to disconnect). Luckily it was just finger tight (as it should be) or it could've been a beotch.

I still have the original lens as well. No experience with the repros...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Mar 30th, 20 at 11:50 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank you for the quick replies.

I am going to try the PlastX route first, and see how clear I can get them without having to take off the housing. At this point I have plenty of time on my hands since we are in lock-down here in Chicago, so I don't mind.

If it turns out clear, I'll be sure to post a before and after, once the OCD wears down.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 08:04 PM
r_w
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Time is a good thing, right? Don't be afraid to pull the cluster, It's not hard. I pulled it on my '68 while working through some wiring issues. Wish I had polished like davn1256, that looks like new!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 04:38 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Make sure when putting the cluster back in that the upper center screw is tight. It is a ground and things get crazy if it is not tight enough.

1968 Z-28 Black stripes on white, 350, M22, 12bolt. WIP since August 1979
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 20, 07:24 PM
Tech Team
John

Try Flitz. Just used it on my speedo and tach lens to remove scratches with success.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Most anything with a little grit, followed with a glaze or polish. . . . .even toothpaste! While you have the lens off, take a Q-tip with armor all and clean up the face of the gauges then buff with a micro cloth and if your lucky paint some modeling orange Florissant on the needles.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I wanted to make sure I delivered.

Amazon delivered my Plast-x today and I went out with a rag and microfiber cloth and went to town without taking it off.

Incredibly surprised at how well it worked, took about 45mins, but so happy with the results.

Once my fingers work again, I'll finish up the last bits of cloud, but thanks again to everyone who chimed in.

68 Sport Coupe | 350 SBC | TH350 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode