1968 Dash Dog Leg Pins - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 20, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
CG

1968 Dash Dog Leg Pins

I have tried searching and cannot find this answer which leads me to believe they are not available. I am looking for the dog leg pins that are attached to the dash pad. My original one has one broken and I am working on refinishing mine. I fear I will have to fabricate my own which is not ideal as I don't have the tools for that but can probably make due. Finding the dog leg clips, which I need are easy, but not the actual pins that are attached to the metal support.

Also, if anyone knows where at in the assembly manual is the dash pad installation process at to make sure I don't miss anything my first go round? This manual is amazing and frustrating at the same time.

If someone knows where the thread is I will happily delete mine.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 20, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: 1968 Dash Dog Leg Pins

Sorry I can't help on the pins.

Here's a thread with general dash assembly procedures, although they're mostly referring to 69's...https://www.camaros.net/forums/34-re...-sequence.html, it basically applies to 67-8 as well. Just make sure to leave yourself enough access to get the nuts on the 4 studs of the dash pad (67/8) .

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 20, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
CG

Thank you for the information. They are similar but slightly different. Was really hoping someone had information on the pins. I'm reaching out to just dashes to see if I can purchase from them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 20, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

The dash pad was installed on the Fisher Body side so it's not in the AIM. However, if you're referring to the lower dash pad clips, they're available from most vendors. HERE'S the online catalog from Truck and Car Shop in Anaheim, CA showing the price to be $11 for the pair (Page 44, part number 68-04339).

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash pad clips.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	234127  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 20, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCamaro1 View Post
Thank you for the information. They are similar but slightly different. Was really hoping someone had information on the pins. I'm reaching out to just dashes to see if I can purchase from them.

Could try Al Knoch as well...https://alknochinteriors.com/contact/

The clips Ed describes are readily available through most of the common vendors.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 20, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
CG

Thank you for allknoch also. Checking on a few of them. Yes, the clips are easy to find, but not the pins. I am not familiar with that type of pin to search any other way. There has to be other similar pins like that. I may have to find some time to wander around Ace and see what they have that is similar.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 20, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

If you're referring to the pin that's in the pad itself, it's part of the pad and not available separately. It wasn't even available from Chevrolet. You had to purchase a new pad.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dash pad pin.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	234135  

CRG -

Last edited by bertfam; Apr 13th, 20 at 12:06 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 20, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
CG

That is exactly what I am asking about. Any thoughts on how and what to replace them with?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 20, 06:55 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

You could probably make something that'll work, but your best bet would be to find an old used cheap dash pad that still has them attached and use those. You should be able to find one since a lot of guys replace theirs due to aging.

Ed

CRG -
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 20, 05:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Do you have the old pin or the other pin on the opposite side? You could turn one out of a bolt. Take a 1/4" bolt and use the nonthreaded part of the shaft. You can turn it by putting it in a drill motor and use a file. It will take some time. The old pin is welded onto the dash.

On my 1969 Firebird dash, the pin has a head on it that is covered by the vinyl.
[IMG]dash pad 57a by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

I assume your dash is rusted an the pin fell off. I used 20 gauge steel to make a patch at the end of the frame. You might have to do the same.
[IMG]dash pad 22 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dash pad 28 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you car parts which is bout the same thang.
Patrick
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 20, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
CG

I would say thankfully my pin didn't rust off, it actually broke, but rusted or broke, same thing it does not work. I didn't think of using a drill and a file, but was definitely thinking of using a file and creating my own from a bolt if I run out of options. Maybe the drill could speed it up. I have calls/emails into just dashes and alknoch right now. With the limited work force, getting answers are slow.

Patrick, those pictures are very familiar as your post is the one that inspired me to try refinishing my own. I am not sure yet to thank you for that inspiration or not yet ha. I have most of everything removed except one end just as you did it. I need to finish clean up some of the surface and scaled rust but the metal seems very strong and in no danger of rusting through. One question I had for you, is that I seem to have foam on the inside of the dash under where it connects/sits on the car. I see on your pics you had foam there too, but I didn't see that in your write up or pictures of adding any back. Did you, and if not do you think that will cause a rubbing squeaking issue when on the road?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 20, 10:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCamaro1 View Post
I would say thankfully my pin didn't rust off, it actually broke, but rusted or broke, same thing it does not work. I didn't think of using a drill and a file, but was definitely thinking of using a file and creating my own from a bolt if I run out of options. Maybe the drill could speed it up. I have calls/emails into just dashes and alknoch right now. With the limited work force, getting answers are slow.

Patrick, those pictures are very familiar as your post is the one that inspired me to try refinishing my own. I am not sure yet to thank you for that inspiration or not yet ha. I have most of everything removed except one end just as you did it. I need to finish clean up some of the surface and scaled rust but the metal seems very strong and in no danger of rusting through. One question I had for you, is that I seem to have foam on the inside of the dash under where it connects/sits on the car. I see on your pics you had foam there too, but I didn't see that in your write up or pictures of adding any back. Did you, and if not do you think that will cause a rubbing squeaking issue when on the road?
I turned some brass bushings for my convertible top using my North Louisiana lathe. If you have a thin cut off wheel, use it to make the point. Then use the file to smooth out the rough edges.

There was extra foam on the inside of the frame. Mine was located in the front rounded part. I glued some of the scrap EVA foam on the inside. There is a huge space between the rounded part of the vinyl dash and the car's frame. I think it would be good to add some in this area just for more sound deadening.

I used JB Weld between the seams of the foam. The foam separated a little during installation where it was butted together.

My vinyl dash still looks good. No wrinkles or dents.

Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you car parts which is bout the same thang.
Patrick
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 20, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Well, I KNEW I had seen something similar before but couldn't put my finger on it until I was thumbing through one of my 1957 Chevy catalogs! The SHORT CROWN MOLDING STUDS look like they might work!

There's also a long set but I think they're TOO long. I don't have the ability to measure mine since they're on the car, but if you would like, I can find out for your how long the short and long studs are.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Short crown molding studs.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	234175  

CRG -
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 20, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Ok, more information on the length of the short stud. The post extends down from the mounting plate 1.365" and the clip/receptacle for the post extends down from the sheet metal 0.678".

I've also asked for the length of the long stud, but like I previously stated, it's probably too long.

Ed

CRG -
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 20, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
CG

Thank you Ed. That is a great idea. I measured mine and they are 1/2 long. However, I believe I found a source for them, but they are not sure when they can open again. With that, I am waiting to provide their information. If it takes too long I think I will try the approach that Patrick mentioned and his grinder lathe as I only need one and would like to move along this as I have some time and motivation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dash pad, dog leg pins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode