Glass put back in - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 20, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dale

Garage
Glass put back in

I had some touch-up painting done around rear window. Trim and window were removed and reinstalled. For some reason, I don't remember seeing the inside trim, or at least it stands out now more than it did before. Does this look off? Or should I just replace it? Something just seems not right.

*also, does anyone know why the pictures I post keep turning sideways?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_161805 (Large).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	234403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_161812 (Large).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	234405   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_161659 (Large).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	234407  

67 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 20, 01:16 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Glass put back in

Inner moldings never fit perfectly, especially in the corners, but things definitely aren't right with that installation. It should look like the lower left side in your pics with the inner and outer moldings matching up and be fairly consistent all the way around. Certainly shouldn't see body color on the inside. Not sure if your quarters were replaced and the flanges are wider than original or what. Looks like butyl tape was applied haphazardly as well.

Sorry to say, but I think the glass should be reinstalled, applying the sealant, whether it's urethane or butyl, near the edge of the flange. That way the flange and body color wouldn't be visible.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Apr 24th, 20 at 01:58 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 20, 04:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

From the pictures it looks like paint is on your inner trim, and your trim just needs to be installed correctly. I pounded mine in with a rubber hammer before installing the glass. If your trim is old, it may not tighten up. Might be time for new trim.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 20, 03:48 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

I agree with Garth, the window was not centered in the opening when it was reinstalled. There is about a 1/2 inch gap around the class to the vertical and top edges of the sheet metal when the glass is properly installed. The bottom of the glass sets on rubber spacers to prevent it from sliding down. You need to remove and reinstall the glass. Could be wrong, as I don't have a hardtop here to look at and am going by memory.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 20, 05:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
I agree with Garth, the window was not centered in the opening when it was reinstalled. There is about a 1/2 inch gap around the class to the vertical and top edges of the sheet metal when the glass is properly installed. The bottom of the glass sets on rubber spacers to prevent it from sliding down. You need to remove and reinstall the glass. Could be wrong, as I don't have a hardtop here to look at and am going by memory.
No disrespect, but the glass being center or not , has nothing to do with where the trim lays. If you look at the outside trim, it is pretty uniform. When they painted around the window they taped to the inside black plastic pinch weld trim. The black trim has paint on it making it look like it is the pinch weld. It's not. The black trim is not installed correctly. Zooming in on the pictures show's that. My eyes are old, and it's possible I'm wrong, but that's what I see . Op check the trim before cutting the window out and risking your paint job.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 20, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Couple of comments. The pinch weld should have been blacked out with primer before installation. The trim is not installed correctly. It should butt up to the pinch weld in my limited experience. Was the trim installed before or after the glass?

Im sure Scott will weigh in....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 20, 06:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Couple of comments. The pinch weld should have been blacked out with primer before installation. The trim is not installed correctly. It should butt up to the pinch weld in my limited experience. Was the trim installed before or after the glass?

I’m sure Scott will weigh in....

Don
You are dead on Don. I install the headliner and trim before the glass. If you look at the pictures you can see the headliner. Showing the trim is not installed correctly.

X-77 keith
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 20, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

The window moldings are wide enough to cover the pinchwelds; no reason to paint the beds black. Just a poor masking job as shown by the overspray and sloppy inner molding installation.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 20, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Only 2 things I see for sure; 1) Why no one touched this post for 17 hrs (me) LOL and 2) Doesn't look right. Sloppy installation !

The outer molding does look good however....

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 20, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dale

Garage

The glass was taken out and reinstalled by the body shop's glass guy. For sure I don't remember it being like this before it was worked on.

1. So is the interior trim suppose to be installed by the glass guy?
2. Should this be installed before the glass?
3. Should I speak with the glass or body guy to have them fix it?
4. Should I try to fix it myself?
5. Should I buy a new interior trim piece to start with whether I do it or the glass guy does it?

6. Would any more pictures be helpful for any of you to see?

67 Camaro
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 20, 02:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The inside trim is not the glass guys responsibility. A good glass guy will however try to make sure it's in place before installing the glass. The glass does not need to be removed to install. Easier to
Without the glass, but can be installed either way. I think new trim will be easier to work with . Just me.

X-77 keith
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 20, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigman87 View Post
The glass was taken out and reinstalled by the body shop's glass guy. For sure I don't remember it being like this before it was worked on.

1. So is the interior trim suppose to be installed by the glass guy? Anyone can install them, doesn't matter much by who or in any particular order.
2. Should this be installed before the glass? I installed them after the glass, but guess it might be easier to do the interior trim prior to glass installation. One should probably mask them as not to get glass adhesive/sealant on the trim
3. Should I speak with the glass or body guy to have them fix it? I would. Pretty evident they did a subpar installation.
4. Should I try to fix it myself? You could try removing the inner molding and repositioning, but if it's apparent that paint overspray is on them as suggested above, then I wouldn't touch them and let the shop correct it.
5. Should I buy a new interior trim piece to start with whether I do it or the glass guy does it? Again, I'd say it depends whether there is paint overspray on them or not ? They do appear somewhat deteriorated from the sun, so might be best to replace them, although I have no experience with the reproduction moldings. Don't know how well they fit ?

6. Would any more pictures be helpful for any of you to see? Not really for me, photos are somewhat deceiving....a person sometimes isn't sure what they're seeing. Like me, I didn't interpret the body color as overspray on the moldings, as seen by Keith and Scott.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode