Added Console Gauges - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 20, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Josh

Garage
Added Console Gauges

I added the Auto Meter console gauge panel yesterday from Jegs. It wasn’t too bad of an install other than just time. I think it’s a much better look than the 3 gauge panel hanging below my radio delete, but now I have a working gas gauge 🙂. The next project is replacing the old dash fuel gauge with a factory tach. How hard is that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4FB5D8E1-0AF1-4444-A91A-7A81B7FE0BDE_1589109888793.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	234743  

1969 Camaro 350, 700R4, 4.10's, Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers and Pypes 2.5" Violator mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 20, 03:46 PM
Apprentice

Re: Added Console Gauges

Looks nice, which gauges did you choose?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 20, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Josh

Garage
Thanks! I went with the basic Auto Meter 2 1/8” gauges. The fuel gauge is an Auto Meter Phantom series. Someday I’ll upgrade, but they work well.

1969 Camaro 350, 700R4, 4.10's, Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers and Pypes 2.5" Violator mufflers

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 20, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

As far as how hard is it to replace the tach, its pretty easy as far as things go. I replaced mine with a Dakota Digital and the hardest part was to get the bolts lined back up to mount the steer column. One of them has some play in it and it took me a minute to realize I could move it to make it align with the mount on the column. You will need to drop it down to get the dash out. Watch out for the shim between the column and where it mounts. Beyond that, just keep track of all the little screws that come out. If you're running an HEI distributor, you'll need to run the signal wire from the tach to the port right next to the 12v power supply in the distributor. You're local auto parts store probably sells a pig tail that has both the 12v and tach connections. I spliced in the wires, ran them through the hole for the speedo cable and that was it. I don't know the specifics of a non HEI distributor but I'd guess it is similar.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 20, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Josh

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce1968 View Post
As far as how hard is it to replace the tach, its pretty easy as far as things go. I replaced mine with a Dakota Digital and the hardest part was to get the bolts lined back up to mount the steer column. One of them has some play in it and it took me a minute to realize I could move it to make it align with the mount on the column. You will need to drop it down to get the dash out. Watch out for the shim between the column and where it mounts. Beyond that, just keep track of all the little screws that come out. If you're running an HEI distributor, you'll need to run the signal wire from the tach to the port right next to the 12v power supply in the distributor. You're local auto parts store probably sells a pig tail that has both the 12v and tach connections. I spliced in the wires, ran them through the hole for the speedo cable and that was it. I don't know the specifics of a non HEI distributor but I'd guess it is similar.
Thank you! Great to hear it's simple.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 20, 11:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I got that too. Also replaced the dash gauges with Autometer Speedo and Tach. Started with a three gauge pod the added the four gauge with fuel level, the tach and speedo in the center cluster. Console gauges were pretty simple, Center cluster took some fabbing of a plate to hold the gauges.

68 302 M20 3:73 - 85 IROC Z - 82 Honda CB900C
The older I get the faster I was.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 20, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Josh

Garage
Nice, sounds like we’re on the same page with these gauges. What are the Auto Meter part numbers you used for the speedo and tach?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode