wooden steering wheel vs modern steering wheel - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
wooden steering wheel vs modern steering wheel

My 68 Camaro came with a smaller modern steering wheel which I don't care for (the color, trivial I know). I know things like this are based upon preference, but I like the larger walnut steering wheel original look. Either way I am replacing the steering wheel.

Being new to the community I was wondering if there was a draw back that I did not know about the older larger wooden steering wheels that I could be educated on. Safety issues? Size benefits?

Thank you for your opinions and information as I have learned so much already from you guys!

1968 Z28 Camaro 350 sbc
Junyor

Last edited by Junyor757; May 22nd, 20 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: wooden steering wheel vs modern steering wheel

I like the factory stainless and walnut clad three spoke steering wheel. I don't like my dimmer on a stalk either. The only modern concession I will make is for pulse wipers (but that can be a sliding switch on the dash and still work as well). I hate padded horn buttons that won't blow the horn until you hit it hard enough to knock out George Foreman then the air bag goes off. That is my opinion on the subject.

Big Dave
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 12:38 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Originals were 17" *IIRC*. Sometimes there can be clearance issues getting in & out if you're a husky type or with aftermarket seats. Like these TMI "Sport Seats" with the extra side bolstering, I shortened the legs of the seats as it was too cramped sliding between the wheel and seat bolster. Of course a tilt column would solve that problem as well.

The aftermarket now offers a 16" reproduction of the wood wheels for 67-9. You can see it at Rick.s https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...1967-1968.html , part # 33-180072-1.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 04:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

X2. Yes, if the wheel is oem it makes for a tight squeeze with your legs. On top of that, if you go with new seat foams I have seen many owners complain about the seating being higher up which reduces the space between the wheel and seat. A tilt column is almost a necessity in this modern time. Assess your "Leg Gap" with your current wheel, especially if you do not have a tilt column.

Brett.......

Rockets Up In 2020! Inaugural Launch Date: 9/16/2020 - Vandenberg AFB Pad SLC-2W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 05:15 AM
Apprentice
James

Garage

I had to switch out to a 14" wheel myself. Ol' Thunder Thighs here just couldn't comfortably deal with the the large "old fashioned" wheel.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 05:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I have a 15" wood wheel from Forever Sharpe. Absolutely love it. Great fit and finish and came with everything for the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200517_153754967_1590237807945.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	234947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200517_153657012_1590237855383.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	234949  
Bry68 likes this.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

The new wood wheel from Ricks, and other vendors is really nice. Doesn't have the rivets like many do and it looks original. Great quality
Garfields Maro likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 06:37 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

X3 Yeah same here. I have original seats and wheel. It's a pain getting in and out. Also while driving the wheel hits my thighs and is way too close for comfort. I feel like I'm in a NASCAR driver position.
I've been shopping for a replacement and will check out those at Rick's.
BTW, there is absolutely 0% wood in the original "wood" steering wheels.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 08:30 AM
Team Member
Jim

Garage

My original "walnut wheel" was way too big too. When I put in power steering I got this is a new Grant 930 steering wheel, stripped and re-finished to color match the '68 walnut interior parts, it fits the original mount hub and horn button The diameter is about 15" and has a shallower dish than the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	234951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190616_174507.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	234953  
Bry68 and Garfields Maro like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech

Certainly a preference on what style steering wheel so get what you like. Standard size steering wheel and larger driver can make getting in/out of the car awkward. Seat track extenders can help in that area and also using a smaller diameter steering wheel. My car came with a Grant wheel which I personally prefer over the stock wheel.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Thumbs up Re: wooden steering wheel vs modern steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
I like the factory stainless and walnut clad three spoke steering wheel. I don't like my dimmer on a stalk either. The only modern concession I will make is for pulse wipers (but that can be a sliding switch on the dash and still work as well). I hate padded horn buttons that won't blow the horn until you hit it hard enough to knock out George Foreman then the air bag goes off. That is my opinion on the subject.

Big Dave
Hilarious!

1968 Z28 Camaro 350 sbc
Junyor
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
I have a 15" wood wheel from Forever Sharpe. Absolutely love it. Great fit and finish and came with everything for the install.

Matt.....4am??? Really? Get some sleep....LOL. I saw the time date stamp on your photos. hahahhah

1968 Z28 Camaro 350 sbc
Junyor
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 03:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyor757 View Post

Matt.....4am??? Really? Get some sleep....LOL. I saw the time date stamp on your photos. hahahhah
I'm posting at 3am. It's because 8pm is my bedtime.

Rockets Up In 2020! Inaugural Launch Date: 9/16/2020 - Vandenberg AFB Pad SLC-2W

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Only thing I ran into on a 68 is the dish of the wheel. I did a Budnick wheel that had no dish and it was like my knuckles were hitting the dash. I ended up putting a factory three spoke wood wheel back in. Was way better.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Ts
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Lil Red Express
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsl78 View Post
My original "walnut wheel" was way too big too. When I put in power steering I got this is a new Grant 930 steering wheel, stripped and re-finished to color match the '68 walnut interior parts, it fits the original mount hub and horn button The diameter is about 15" and has a shallower dish than the original.
Really like the looks of that and about the right diameter. Nice job on matching the wood grain. Was looking it up and seemed to be reasonably priced. About how much shallower than original ? You've got a tilt column there too, right ?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode