Team Camaro Tech banner

Console ashtray removal hekp

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bsimms89 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 69 camaro that I’ve owned about 2 years now, currently in the process of switching all lights to led and replacing the faded lenses. I’m trying to change out the curtesy light at the back of the center console. I know I have to take out the ashtray to get to it, but when I open the ashtray lid and go to lift out the silver ashtray inset it feels like it’s secured in there. The from of the tray lifts a little bit but the part of it towards the rear of the car feels secured in there.

I haven’t wanted to force it cause I wasn’t sure if this is normal and didn’t want to risk breaking anything. Has anyone had a problem with this before? Anyone have any advise for me so I don’t break part of my center console trying to get it out?

#4 ·
I just went through this installing my console. It’s supposed to just lift out, but the spring clips on the rear if the ashtray got hung up on the plastic it presses against. The plastic was a little melted there, not sure if it was from cigarettes or from the courtesy light bulb. The wonky plastic made it easier for the corners of the springs to dig in. I agree with the above...push towards the rear, try to lift the front edge.

#8 ·
Thanks tomorrow I’ll try lifting one the front a little harder. I can get the fron up about a quarter inch without forcing it too hard. I’ll try using some plastic trim pry tools on it and see if it’ll pop out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.