Door/Trunk Lock Replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 01, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

I have a 69SS. The door keys that I acquired with the car do not work in the door locks or trunk. I got a set of lock cylinders from Firewheel Classics. Do I have to take the inside door panels off to install...any trick or tips are appreciated.

HayesBBN

------------------
69-Z10 Pace Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 01, 07:30 PM

Your ignition and door keys are supposed to be the same , so if you bought new lock assemblies you'll have to take them and your ignition key to a locksmith and have him open up the door locks and make them fit (swap some wafers and/or file them down) then you'll be correct. Also makes it much easier to go from door key to ignition , instead of having a door key and ignition key AND a trunk key. Having both the door and ign. keys being square is always a pain in the butt. It won't cost much , they should do it for about $15.00 , it's worth it. Or you could return the door locks and buy an ignition & door lock set that come keyed alike. About the same money either way.

Yes you have to take the door panels off.

The clip that holds them has barbed teeth that dig into the side of the lock a little , you have to get on them with a good set of pliers usually because you have to pull very hard if they've never been off before.

Be careful trying to pry between the lock and clip , it's easy to bend the door like this.

Forgive me if you knew all that , but I've seen people asking how to change oil here before ; ]

Brian

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 01, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech

when I popped out my door locks I removed the panel and used a screw driver between the lock and the clip and it worked goodfor me!

as for the key thing ,my 69 had a square ign. key and one rounded key fit both doors and the trunk?
maybe mine had been changed sometime but I thought it was correct.

just my .02 cents!!!!

------------------
camaro's for ever!!!
67 327 11:1 4spd.
70 454 400thm 10 posi
my 70 454 camaro

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 01, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Square key for doors and ignition, round key for trunk.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 01, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phel69:
Square key for doors and ignition, round key for trunk.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Round key also fits glove box. If the locks are orginal you can take out the glove box lock and take it to a locksmith to get a key made for it
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 01, 05:33 PM

My '68 has 1 octogon shape key for both the door & ignition. And 1 round key for both the glove box & trunk. These are the original heads for this year.

Isn't '69 the same? ('67 is).

------------------
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II replica, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe

[This message has been edited by djunod (edited 08-19-2001).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 01, 11:33 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by undee72Z:
Round key also fits glove box. If the locks are orginal you can take out the glove box lock and take it to a locksmith to get a key made for it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

=========================

undee72z - For what it's worth , trying to cut a key from a glove box lock for the doors won't work 99% of the time. The glove box locks utilize only 3 and sometimes only 2 wafers (wafers are the little flat tabs that jump up and down when you insert the key and drop into the peaks and valleys of your key) , in other words the glove box is low security and is only locked by 2 or 3 wafers in the lock. You can take a glove box lock apart and cut a key with a file , you can get it to work with as little as 2 small cuts , but if you take that key to the door it'll be lacking approx. 4 more notches/wafer cuts. Otherwise everyones' keys would open about 25% of all cars , or 1 out of 4.

The only way to get a door or ignition key is to take either the car or the lock to a locksmith , and if he's good , he can cut a key from a blank for your ignition (or door) with only a file , without taking the lock out.

(ps: I used to work at a bicycle & lock shop , used to watch & help the lock guy all the time , he was the best in town and done all the bank safety deposit boxes. Also , having a tavern right next door to the shop , about every saturday morning some drunks car would be parked in front of our building , we'd go out to the car , cut a key for the door with a file , open the car , sit and patiently whittle out a key for the ignition , start the car and move it in front of the tavern's front door , then lock it back up.

Funny as hell.

Anonymous-car-mover

; )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode