Crome Plating! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 01, 03:15 AM
chuckdetroit

Does anyone know where in Michigan to go, to get my engine components crome plated??

There seems to be not too many people that do this work, and if they do, they don't wanna tell ya the price, they wanna make you bring the **** in so they can ram ya up the ***!..

If anyone knows of a reasonable place in Michigan to get this done, please email me, or respond to this post!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 01, 04:11 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I wouldn't hit these guys too hard. Chrome plating is so expensive because of all of the environmental regulations on the industry. It's practically being regulated out of existence here in the U.S.

As far as bringing the part in before quoting a price, that's no different than a body shop or a mechanic.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 01, 04:19 AM

Hey there chuckdetroit. Once you get your recommendation of a local shop it will be your choice of level of chrome plating
(translates to $$$$$). The shops up here of three levels of chrome plating
1: standard - not bad but not multi-dipped
and not overly polished
2: show - looks very good
3: museum - this one is amazing. It looks
wet and mirror like
Basically if you are willing to pay the extra money to have the shop polish you will get a great product.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 01, 09:18 AM
Tech Team

Northern Friend: Any shops you can recommend
locally there??
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 01, 01:09 PM
chuckdetroit

Yeh, I did most of the work for them already, blasted the parts, and I am able to polish myself. I just need the parts dipped, I found a place here in Belville Michigan that will do it. And I will keep everyone posted on this as I get info. I am going to stop in there sometime before sept to get some prices..

I realize crome plating is not a simple proceses. Can I get the same effect getting them zinc platted? is that a cheaper way to go... Anyway Looks like IM gonna have to re-order all my Pulleys again, and sell the old ones!.. heheh..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 01, 02:13 PM

Chuck ,
There's another factor that the chrome shops figure when giving you a price.
The guys above that said chroming is being regulated out of buisness is correct , and there are different levels of finish. But , the other cost they figure is the cost of "replacing" your part. Since sometimes a part is destroyed accidentally , they also figure the cost of buying you a new part and refinishing it , therefore the "rarity" of your part figures into the price. In other words , if you take them a hood ornament from a 1932 Duesenberg , and it's pitted , but they tell you they can fill the pits , polish , and double show chrome it , then when completed it's lost all of it's definition and sharp edges and just doesn't look quite right , it's considered "destroyed". Not that they actually broke it or anything , but when it's not perfect and you're not satisfied , and it's obviously unusable on the quality of vehicle it's meant for , the you AND the chromer have a problem. From your standpoint they destoyed your part and you want a new one , and from their standpoint they've got a job they done thats unsatisfactory and are not going to be paid for , in addition to the fact that you want them to buy you another core and start again. So now , they have to go find a decent original 1932 Duesenberg hood ornament , which may be impossible to find , and if they do it could be $1000.00 PLUS another chance at redoing it.
Different shops use different formula's for calculating this risk , but I found this out years ago when getting a lot of custom chrome done , all good/reputable shops operate this way.

So , if you're talking about common parts like non-rare pulleys for a Camaro where they can just throw it in a pile if it doesn't come out right , this factor won't be too large , but really rare and unreplacable parts get doubled and tripled in price because of this.

Also they want to see it because just the basic shape of things make them hard to prep and polish , not to mention some things can't be chromed at all for different reasons such as soldered joints , indifferent metals , irregular shapes , or even just the condition of the part.

These reasons and a few others are why you'll never get a chrome shop to quote you over the phone , usually not even a ballpark figure.

Brian
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 01, 02:55 PM

Since it looks like your willing to do some of the work, you might as well do it all
http://www.caswellplating.com/

------------------
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II replica, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 01, 04:40 AM

Hey rjrock

I have used All Brite Metal Finishing Ltd in Edmonton and they have been absolutely great on everything. I had standard chrome job on my bumpers to keep them close to factory looking, rear light bezels were filled with bronze then chromed, under hood I went museum quality on my air cleaner and valve covers - wow, and they polished all my SST on the car. They are about the only supplier that I was totally happy with the quality and delivery. Do you live in Edmonton and if so, do you have a camaro????

Don
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 01, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

I heard that you could get it done inexpensivly in Mexico. They don't have the same environmental (if any) laws as we do. I would look there.

Just another idea...

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
http://68.dhs.org
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 01, 08:03 AM

Try the Bumper Boyz in LA. I just got mine back yesterday.. $140 each to show chrome them. I gave them to the Boyz at the Syracuse Nationals. "Outstanding job" They will also be at fall Carlisle and Hershey.. Bring your old and walk away with new chrome ones for $140 each as well..
www.BumperBoyz.com
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 11:31 AM
Tech Team

I used Tri City Plating in Tennesee. From talking to people, Tennesee isn't too bad with EPA regulation. Gave them to Tri City at Carlisle, Got 'em ack via UPS 2 weeks later. Very satisfied with the quality. You can find 800 number on Internet.
JJH
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech

Two points to bring up. One chrome plating will be a thing of the past by regulations being enforced. I know this because I worked in the leather industry for years and we use a ton of chrome to tan the leather. Regulations on treatment are god awfully expensive, put many tanneries out!. SECOND DO NOT SEND OR BRING PARTS TO MEXICO!!!!! BAD WORK EVEN WORSE PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH. SEND YOUR PARTS DOWN THERE AND YOULL HEAR EVERY EXCUSE ON WHY YOU DONT GET IT BACK FROM ITS STUCK IN CUSTOMS,WE NEVER RECEIVED IT,NO ABLA ENGLIES, YOU GET MY POINT.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 07:31 PM
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

My friend got the bumpers on his 67 GTO done by AIH Chrome, Dubuque, IA 1-800-782-8235. They came out absolutely perfect. Their work is not cheap and the turnaround is glacially slow, but I think it is worth it. The bumpers off my 69 are there right now. I am hoping to have them back some time in September. Can't remember exactly when I sent them, but it's been a couple of months.

-Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode