Braided Fuel Lines... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Any thoughts on running braided fuel lines from the cell in the trunk to the carb?
What kind of line and dia? (69, 327 w/ 650 DF & elec pump)

Have a great weekend!

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech

I don't know how well braided holds up to water and salt from driving when it is under the car. But if you are like me, your car will never see that stuff. There is only one brand though, Earls.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Thanks. The plan is to *never* have the car see *any* water, salt, ...

I've never "made" braided lines. Do I need a special tool to cut to length and attach the fittings?

Regards,
Rob

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

The only problem is that you really should replace the braided hose every couple of years. The rubber liner deteriorates just like the cheap rubber stuff you get at the parts store. The problem with the steel braided stuff is that you can't see the rubber deteriorating on the outside.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Really? Every couple years??? Even if it's a "high quality" hose, like Earls?

Ca-Ching!

How do you know what dia you need for a fuel line / hose?

Thanks again!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 05:55 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

Talking

Rob,
Having worked on Military Aircraft for 16 years, We only change out Steel braided lines when they fail (unless the line is made of synthetic materials, then there is a forced removal date). I have been running them on my cars for more than 7 years without a failure and I run it in all kinds of whether.
There is also several companies who manufacture braided line, Earls, Russel, Areoquip are just a couple.
All you need to cut the line is some duct tape (to wrap the line where you cut it to keep it from fraying) and a fine tooth hachsaw. Then slip the fittings on and screw them together. Afterwards clean it out with some mild cleaner.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ya' know Tony,

That is a great point! I was a helicopter crew chief for 4 year, several years back, and never thought of that! We only changed them on failure as well and man did we run some pressure / fluids through em'! All our lines were pre cut and fitted so I never had to "build" em'. Ahhh, the good life!

Who makes the lines you are using and do you have any idea who makes the lines for the aircraft?

Thanks,
Rob
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

Rob,

I use Earl's and Areoquip.
On the Aircraft we use Areoquip.

Also there is a web site to figure out the equivilent sizing for hoses and fittings, ie -6 = 1/2" etc.

------------------
TONY

[This message has been edited by idoxlr8 (edited 08-24-2001).]
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech

the sizing of braided hose is done in 1/16th inch increments. -6=6/16ths or 3/8.-8=1/2 ,etc.
-8 seems to be a good size for lines. even if you don't need the capacity now, it will be there if you do step up the power.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 09:03 AM
David Pozzi

One thing to think about is that there are all kinds of braded hose. Some has a liner inside the hose to lengthen the life. I doubt the hose sold to racers is anywhere near the quality of hose that is used on military aircraft.
I plumbed my vintage car in Russell hose origonally. I found frayed wires as I ran my hands along the hose, and parts fo the hose rubber was squeezed out between the brading showing that it was perhaps braded too tight.
I have a piece of this hose that curves on a tight radius between the carbs and after about four years I get a leak. Even straight sections would leak after 5 years.
I have since swtiched to Aeroquip and found it to be of higher quality and reliablility, I've had no failures with the Aeroquip.
I would stick with the Aeroquip brand hose. I suspect some of the other hose is cheap aircraft reject stuff.
I don't particularly like running hose all the way from rear to front, I'd use tubing like the stock setup uses. That's just my preference.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 10:25 AM

I would use as much stainless steel line as possible. Only using the braided line on the movement areas (from tank to line & from line to fuel pump).

Safety first, especially with gasoline.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II replica, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

First let me apolgize for my spelling error's.

Aeroquip is made to a higher standard because they are a main supplier to the Aircraft industry and are held to the A/N (Army/Navy) Milspec.

Some of our lines are lined with a teflon tubing to prevent bursting (ie brake lines) and some are made of synthetic (ie Oxygen lines). But most of our oil and fuel lines are natural rubber and have been in place since the A/C was made.

I would use care in routing the lines as with any but I would not hesitate to go from tank to carb with steel braided lines.

Stainless steel is very brittle when you try to flare it and can crack or split. it is also hard to bend. We use alot of seamless aluminum tube were the pressure's permit (ussually below 2000 psi)

------------------
TONY

[This message has been edited by idoxlr8 (edited 08-24-2001).]
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

I know you military guys might have experience on aircraft hydraulic hoses, but everything I have ever read on the use of steel braided hose in the fuel system says that it must be replaced just like regular rubber. If it is regular rubber on the inside, how does the steel braiding on the outside keep the inside of the hose from rotting out? I think the difference is in the application - gas is different than hydraulic fluid.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 01, 07:14 PM
David Pozzi

With fuel hoses and carbs a foot away from my head, I am more careful than most.
Here is the url for Aeroquip. http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/techinfo.html
My experience with the Russell hose was worse than stock hose in my opinion. Kinda soured me on braded hose. The Aeroquip hose is looking better.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 12:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Over time, from all of the experience shared here, I decided to use the stock metal line and used the Aeroquip blue hose at the tank end and carb end. I still have the braided from the pump ( mechanical ) to the carb inlets but consider the periodic replacement cost part of my safety expense.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode