actual vehicle history search? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

does anyone know of such a place, for a fee or free, that could actually tell you what your car originally came from the factory with, along with any history? i own a x-22 ss/rs 396 L-78 and would like to verify it. I have run a title search, talked to prevoius owners, but came to a dead end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

In short, no.

Unless your car was delivered in Canada. They have some records available.

Would be a massive undertaking to have this information availble. Only a handfull campared to all the cars built exist today. GM says no records exist, probably because if they admitted to having them they would beseiged for info, would have to hire staff etc with the return for them in sales.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 08-25-2001).]
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i have not been able to find a build sheet, in seats, etc. could one be in the original headliner? maybe in-between the gas tank and body?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech

Just found the build sheet on mine, top of the gas tank, it was a mess. Nothing really readible, but it was there. It disintegrated like the dead sea scrolls.......LA built 69 car........KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!
http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/
<A HREF="http://www.fototime.com/inv/65C66018BF43AB7/" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.fototime.com/inv/65C66018BF43AB7</A>
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 11:12 AM
Jeff

kz--- Can you still make out the dealership or its zone where it was sold. If you can I would give them a call if there still in business and see what if any records they kept
__
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech

You should be able to go to the secretary of state, and they have a form you fill out and pay a small fee, and they can will give u the previous owner...or current owner.

At least where I live anyway.

Josh
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 01, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs down

HawaiianCamaro, no way, the only thing that is readible are some #'s going down the right side of the build sheet, the left side is completely undreadable. I took a photo of it, just to have some history, and threw it in the trash. There's absolutely nothing on it that's decipherable. Doesn't really make any difference, I know my car is far from original, and it probably wasn't anything special from the factory, it's just nice to say I found it......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 01, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech
frank

Kz too bad you threw it away, I'll bet there is a chance it could be brought back to life forensiclly, like they do old paintings and things similar.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 01, 08:54 AM

I would have at least kept it in a ziploc bag... considering how extremely rare it is to find one.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II replica, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe

[This message has been edited by djunod (edited 08-27-2001).]
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 01, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech

Like I said, my car is not an original, #'s matching car by any stretch of the imagination, never will be. Therefore, the buildsheet, which was totally unreadable, was useless to me. I figured a picture would be good enough for me. I'll post it when it comes out, and you can see what I was dealing with.......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 02:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

KZ - I understand exactly! I recently replaced my tank and found a few molecules of stained paper. Not enough to even capture on film!

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 01, 10:24 PM

Angry

Chevy has some records they just dont want to get involved like Pontiac did, for about $25 or so you can get a build sheet for your Pontiac from Pontiac Historical Services, I remember seeing a ton of 64-65 tri-power GTOs pop up in Hemmings a few months after this service started ( possibly from owners of conveted 64-65 Tempests/LeMans cars. The later - 66 and up GTOs have their own unique VIN number so they cant be faked ). I would love to see this happen to the many suspect 1st generation Z/28s I have seen in my life ( some owned by some very famous sports personalities ). I know that there are records at Chevrolet because people like Al Colvin and Paul Riesner have been let into the back rooms and researched the dusty neglected file cabinents that are there. I have a good friend who is the most talented Corvette mechanic that I have ever met ( being an ex GM quality engineer probably helps ). My talented friend constantly gets calls about cars for sale, and one day fond himself looking at a used 68 Corvette coupe with an L88 replacement engine in it. Paul Riesner was able to confirm that the car was a legit 68 L88 sold at Cochran and Celli Chevrolet in Oakland, CA and after the tank sticker was found to say L36 ( 427 390HP ) he said no way! that the VIN was for a L88 car! Paul had a friend of his drop by my friends shop and recheck the tag, it was then discovered that the build sheet was for another car approximately 10 numbers off of the VIN# for this 68 Vette. The sales manager for the dealership in 1968 was located and he absolutley remebered the car and the person that bought it new in 1968. The Vette was stolen approximately 6 months after purchase and there was a shouting match between the service manager and the insurance claims adjuster when the bill for the correct replacement motor was over $3000 in 1969. The 1st owner was contacted and verified that the car was his old car! The car was exstensivley modified by him for the car show circiut in the early 70s and still had all the modifications ( I think my favorite one was the 4 exhaust pipes comming out of the fenders where the shark gills should be located ). The 68 L88 can be seen in the movie " Hells Angels 69 " at the beginning of the film there is a flared silver corvette with the L88 hood, this is in a time before people were really aware of the L88 option. Paul Riesner has access to GM records that you and I dont and that is a shame! I think Chevy believes that the service would be more trouble than its worth but that just screws you and me. The records are obviously there: we know the VIN number for every 69 ZL-1 Camaro that was made, where did these come from?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 01, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

any way we can bribe this "paul" guy to check out my VIN?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

Here's what I was dealing with......garbage. Enter [email protected] to view pics.
http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/humbsrc?pictid ={57A6E996-977C-435D-BC43-C3A7A704AB26}&guid={EA54063C-E61C-40E5

[This message has been edited by kz1000ltd (edited 09-07-2001).]
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 01, 03:48 AM

The VINs for the '69 ZL-1's are known because Vince Piggins kept a notebook w/all the Vins listed. The story of this is retold in Chapter 18 of "The 1969 Camaro Reference Book" by John Hooper. Piggins needed to keep track of the VIN's because NHRA required at least 50 cars to be built in order for them to be legal for class racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode