Power steering pressure line - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 01, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hi, I'm looking if someone has gone through a similar situation as me. I put a big block in my 67 Camaro and the problem I'm having is the pressure line for the power steering is "sandwiched" between the steering sector and the driver side header (hooker super comps). I am looking for advice on how to get more clearance to avoid power steering fluid from getting too hot. Since I paid $600+ for the headers, denting them is not an option...
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 01, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I routed mine, on my 69 bbc under the motor mount towers, and very close to the inside of the frame. I have manifolds, and my hose is at least 3" from them, at the closest point. There's a little C- shaped clip that holds the two hoses together, and helps to keep them out of the way. Don't know if it will work for headers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 01, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Unreal's got it right, down under and through the motor mount. I made the same mistake until Z10Rod pointed it out to me, much more clearance and you don't need to worry about boiling your fluid......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!
http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/
<A HREF="http://www.fototime.com/inv/65C66018BF43AB7/" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.fototime.com/inv/65C66018BF43AB7</A>

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 01, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Isn't the steering sector on 69 ahead of the crossmember? My steering sector is behind my drag link. I don't think going through the motor mounts will help cause the hose still has to cross the frame and across the headers. Thanks....

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech

Hello 67427bb,

At the extreme, you could route the lines up over the inner fender, then forward and come at the pump from the side.

This would require custom lines, and a "can" that had the return line pointed out the side (like from a chevelle or 2nd gen Camaro - these cars had the box in front of the cross member, nearly right next to the pump). '67 through '69 Camaro's all had the steering box behind the cross member, right next to the exhaust, and the lines were routed under the engine/exhaust.

Even running stock manifolds on mine, with the lines in the stock location, they bake over time and crack. I've gone to replacing them every 5 years or so.

But, I realy think the only routing choice you have with big tube or snakey equal length headers is the over-the-fender route. Or give up the P.S. idea all together.

Good Luck

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 01, 05:38 AM

For custom P/S (or hydraulic) hoses, you can go to NAPA to get them made, at least where I live. They sell the hose & the connectors & will crimp them for you.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II replica, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode