Locating a Camaro I sold? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I purchased a very rare optioned 1988 Camaro Z28 new when I was in high school. I loved the car but when it came time to move out on my own I could not take care of the car like I thought it needed to be taken care of (garaged kept). Needless to say I reluctantly sold the car in 1994.
I have tried to track down the car several times but with no luck.
I was able to pull some data off of www.carfax.com but only that the guy I sold it to had passed an inspection soon after he had the car in 1994 and then no more data fom carfax.

Could the car now be stolen .......totaled?
I had upgraded the car and it had over 450HP in it when I sold it so that is a posability.

I also tried to call every guy with the second owners name with no luck.

I went to my local DMV with the VIN# but they would not give me any information on the cars owner unless I was the owner.

The only thing I can think of is to go to my DMV and tell them I bought the car with no title and need to track down the current owner.
Is there any legal way to find a car by VIN?
Any web sites to find title information by VIN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech

Hi
I tried the same them with my beloved 78 Ford..yes, Ford F-150 Pick up.
I went to the DMV, and they told me I could track down who owned it now, and gave me some forms to fill out.
But then I decided to buy the car I have now instead, so I gave up on it.
I imagine you could proly do the same thing, maybe tell the dmv that u think u left something very important in the car??
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

LOL... that one had me rolling on the floor.

I actually also gave up the search a couple of times and am on my second 69 Camaro.

I just know that I can probably pick up the car cheap since that year Camaro with well over 100K mileage on it.
In 15+ years I don't want to be an old man telling people about the rare car, that is now valuable, that I once had and sold for next to nothing.

Maybe the DMV would understand if I tell them I did not mean to sell it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 11:31 AM
Jeff

jrager mind if i ask how you got your information from Carfax. I have tried to research my 67 & 68 with them and they wont take my VIN they say it has to be 17 spaces.
Jeff 67 /68 & 69 RS's
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 11:39 AM

hawaiian, I believe carfax will only accept cars that are post 1980 something. I know that's what stopped me from doing it when i tried it a while back.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunatly carfax.com only has information for 1981 and newer cars. I wish there was a carfax for first gen cars. The closest to a first gen carfax site is http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml

Below is a cut and past from the carfax web site:

"vehicles manufactured prior to 1981 will not be found in our database. This is the model year when a 17-character Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) became the industry standard. Prior to 1981, VINs varied in length from 11 to 17 characters. Because Carfax tracks vehicles using a 17-digit VIN, we are unable to provide reports for vehicles built before 1981. As far as we know, there is no other place to acquire this data. Potential sources for information include the vehicle's manufacturer, as well as vehicle-specific clubs and/or groups. "
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 01, 03:10 PM
hideaway

jrager, i'am going through the same thing for my dad, tring to find out who had his 64 chevelle last as i bought it at a swap meet 7 years ago. now he has it restored and i've lost the title. anyways do you have a friend in law enforcement if so and you have the vin # they can tell you who it belongs to. keep in mind it may not be in the same state as you are now so have them to do a entire nation search. good luck.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 01, 03:44 PM

Smile

My Trooper buddy that used ta really hassle me found mine for me. You might try to find someone thats very good friends w/ a State Trooper, County Deputy or City Police and ask him real nice and explain to him whats going on and maybe he can get his friend to do it for him. Good luck. pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode