GAS TANK REPAIR (how to) - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 08:45 AM
chuckdetroit

Ok I went to get my gas tank chem stripped, and the spout came out, I plan to put in a new sending unit but I would like to know how I go about rpairing the spout back into the tank...

Someone told me it had to be ledded back in, how do I do this? Can I use a propane torch with some pipe solder???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 08:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You don't want to try soldering with gas fumes around. Either take it to a radiator shop or get a new one. I replaced mine with a repro ( 1969 ) that fit fine and was under $150.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 12:36 PM
chuckdetroit

I dont think there would be any gas fumes, it was sent out to be chemicial stripped of paint, and then it came back with a milky white rinse substance in and out of it. So there is no gass or fumes in it.. Does anyone know how to re-led the spout back on, cause its a new tank and does not need to be replaced.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech

You can solder it using 50/50 acid core and a heavy duty soldering iron. I have one that is used for sheetmetal soldering.

Or if you have the tank dipped, just angle the tankand fill up the tank with water just below the filler neck and use a torch. Make sure you re seal the inside.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 03:15 PM
David Pozzi

Take it to a radiator shop and they can solder it cheap, they can also test it for leakage.
Make sure you get all the solder drippings out of it after.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 06:11 PM
chuckdetroit

thanks dave, I will take it in then! It might be the better way to go to have someone that knows what they are doing do it.

thanks again!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 01, 02:13 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I had an old tank with the same problem. I had the filler tube soldered back in by a good radiator shop. Looked like a real nice job, but only lasted for a few months until it cracked (from both the internal pressure and the constant fill ups!) and filled my garage with gas fumes. The solder just isn't as strong. Got a new one for $110 at NPD.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 01, 06:16 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
To the lay-person looks are important but some of the best looking soldering jobs I have seen didn't hold. It's called a "cold solder joint" and it doesn't hold. The surface(s) didn't get even proper heat. In the electric world a cold solder joint doesn't conduct properly as well. Englemac if your tank was soldered properly it wouldn't have cracked.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 01, 08:48 AM

Talking

Safest bet is a new repro tank $119! Fuel tank and lines are nothing to play with! One minor leak and the whole car reaks!! For the hassle and price, a new tank is well worth it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 01, 11:23 AM
David Pozzi

Usually the hard part is getting the metal to "tin".
Sometimes it isn't clean enough to get a good bond, or the temp isn't right. Too low, the solder doesn't flow fully into the joint and stick. Too hot- the solder flows into- and right out of the other end!!!

Silver brazing is the strongest, (by a lot) but will damage any zink plating due to the higher temps required.
I made my own radiator tanks out of sheet brass, and hose elbows from straight copper tube for my Lola radiator, and soldered them onto the core.

I've also done some re soldering of rad tanks on farm equipment in an emergency. It's much harder to get the solder to stick to the old used tanks, unless you do a super job of cleaning and tinning.
I'd like to hang around the radiator repair shop and pick up some tips some day when I have time.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 08-30-2001).]
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 05:21 PM
chuckdetroit

Well, I tried this stuff what is in 2 parts its called Metal Weld, And there is a Hardener and another part that when mixed it is as hard as metal, that will probubbly crack and come off, but I never seen this **** before, and it seems to be as hard as a rock when its set. Its made for metal.. Anyway I will probubbly be buying a new tank myself, but they are not 150.00 I would like to know what NPD sells 69 repo for 150.00 with a spout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode