New Toy need advice??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 01, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I know this is off topic but I just got my new toy delivered today..A 55 belair with a blown 355....Anyone out there have any info they wish to share on the does and don'ts of a tubbed car with a blower,,,All I know is that it is under driven,fuel injected and is set up on the bottle(don't intend on using the giggle juice..mostly a show car)

Any words of advice..need any help I can get..Don't feel very confident in it..I am afraid I will do something wrong..The previous owner gave the quicky on instructions on how to start it and shut it off..but any more info would be greatly appreciated..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 01, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
sweet, PICS man PICS! i'd love to see that car. only a couple of things on wheels that i like, bel air's that are blown/tubbed, chopper harleys and camaro's.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 05:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Congrats!! I'd like to see it also.
The only thing that comes to mind is water temp. & ground clearance. I have several friends with blown & tubbed camaros. They are all slammed, and you have to be careful were you pull her into. Some burger joint driveways around redding are unforgiving for cars that are lowered. One guy has a beautiful 69, and he's afraid to squeeze it also. The car will snap your neck on the carbs. I probably wouldn't squeeze it either unless racing, but I would also be hesitant to do that because your not sure how the car will handle and there's LOTS of money at stake if something goes wrong.

I would also keep a close eye on the engine temps until your comfortable with it. With the guy's I know, it's usually the blown big blocks that give them fits with overheating during cruises, but if somethings going on with the blower, (and I'm no expert here, just what some guy's have told me, maybe true, maybe not,) it could get hot. Something to do with the rotors on a roots style if it's getting worn inside. I've also heard that an incorrect boost pressure for the motor will cause problems, but again, just things I've been told. I know there are other guy's on the site here that know alot more about them than me.

Anyway, just a couple things I would watch. HAVE FUN!!!! LOL

P.S. I'm jealous. LOL

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I sent both you guys some pics..Don't realy know how to post them...Stevo yours went well but camaronotcamero..The dreaded mail demon sent your back...stevo let me know what you think...those are pics the previous owner sent me...Don't have any of my own yet....

Also you are right the cars header and exaust sit low but not low enough to cause any problem...I think ....But still looking for some specific info on the care and maintenance of the blower unit..The previous owner has a lever that leans the mixture before shutting it off.. otherwise he tells me that it will continue to run and backfire after the ignition switch is shut off....Why is this????Any help would be appreciated...thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 04:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Smile

A lever to lean it out before shutdown huh. That's a new one on me, but I can understand why it's there. The reason it will "diesel" and want to backfire is because it's running way to fat at idle for whatever reason. It must load up with lots of fuel while idling. What kind of carbs are on it? Does it have a fuel pressure regulater on it? Have someone cruise behind you while driving and have them look for puffs of black smoke when you give it gas or waiting for a stop light. It may be too fat while your driving too. Did he tell you how much underdriven you are with the blower? If you have a boost gauge, whats it reading?
I'll go check the pics now.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

No carb fuel injected..and the lever that leans it out controls a valve on the the belt driven fuel pump..How did you like the pics...I was able to post them on a web site so check them out on my sig...Thanks

------------------
Retored 76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed..# matching FOR Sale or Trade for a 68 or 69 big block camaro in good shape
-------------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Wink

That is one sweet ride badcaiman! I am jelous with a capitol "J"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 05:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Thumbs up

Wow! Looks sweeeeet!!! Love the color.
$$ching ching$$$ LOL
Blown AND injected huh. Best of both worlds. Must be pretty snappy indeed. LOL
Ahh, don't know. A couple of things come to mind if it's loading up with this combo. I'm thinking injectors too large? Boost pressure not compatible with setup? Too much fuel pressure for system? OR Maybe it's just normal for blown injected setups? I wouldn't think so, but.... Anybody out there with this knowledge?? Maybe timing is involved?
How does it run?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Can someone take a look at pictures of my 55 chevy(link below) and look at the third picture of the dash..There seems to be a box with 3 dials(just to the right of the steering wheel next to the rich/lean meter) any ideas what it is and what it was used for....The picture that was sent to me prior to delivery showed it....Now I seems to have been misplaced( I realy hate when that happens)...Any ideas what that box with the 3 dials was for.....Any help would be appreciated...Thanks...

------------------
Retored 76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed..# matching FOR Sale or Trade for a 68 or 69 big block camaro in good shape
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Has anyone used or know anything about Enderle fuel injection system...That is what I have on my car...And am wondering how they compare to the newer efi systems...Thanks again...

Hey were is everyone....Wow you guys get one long weekend and party party party..Not to mention the place becomes a ghost town...Just waiting for a tumbleweed to cross my screen

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode