Looking for a first generation project - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Question

I am looking for a first generation project car, and I was wondering what all of you look for when you look for one. I realize that to get the original drivetrain is important, but what else?

Thanks in advance,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech
John

My top priority is probably the body... no rust. After that, if the car is complete that is a definate plus. Running is better. I am not too concerned with numbers parts, as I like to modify though.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 04:56 PM

A rust free and complete car is ideal. If you can find an original owner that is great this way you know the history of the vehicle as well. I was able to find all three of the above but it took some looking, even here in Southern California.

Joseph

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 11:54 PM

In my opinion, you have to get the car on a hoist. A complete (very, very complete) inspection of the undercarriage is an absolute priority. Anywhere the tires spread water on the undercarriage is suspect. The inspection may also reveal some past sins unknown to the current owner.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech

Just make a deal with yourself to look at at least 10 cars before you buy, and not just your area, that way you will learn a little about prices and what to look for in a car.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech

I have found a great article in the "Camaro performers" page 82 (fall of 2001)
it says,
1. shop in arid areas of the southwest
2.take a body guy with you or an icepick if you really want to know how solid somthing is
3.avoid swap meets and car shows (learn to reconize that $99.95 paint job
4. look for cars that have been painted 2 times or less.
5.a "rust free" car is the main goal.
If you do buy a car from a dealer check them out thoroughly!!!!!
I got burned by one, in Kentucky I'd love to give you his name but I know he uses this site!
GOOD LUCK!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech

I think you need to look at alot of cars and see what you want. I think finding a car you really like is also important because you are going to be spending alot of time and money on the project. I like original cars with performance options (Z/28 or SS 396)...

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...695&p=33013081

[This message has been edited by Bob Jenkins (edited 09-03-2001).]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 11:37 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

First find out what you want. Do you want a factory performance model? If so, do you have to have a big block, small block, or Z/28? Depending on which you want you will pay more and the car will probably be in worse shape than a normal Camaro. Most of the decent rare cars are being restored or have been restored at one time or another. Buy the best car you can afford. Stay away from rust! Repeat, stay away from rust! Go to a local show and ask a Camaro owner about his or her car. Find out what their problem areas are. Finally, figure out what your budget is. Don't buy a car that is going to bury you. You don't want to spend a ton of money and then have to sell for less than less than what you invested because you can't afford to finish it.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 01, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech

In what price range are you looking?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 01, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

right now my price range is around $4,000.00. I would like to have one of the following:

67 SS or L30/m20
or
69 SS 396

while I am looking, I am saving my money as well.

Thank you for all the replies.

Sean
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 01, 07:36 PM
chuckdetroit

**** , I bought the 1st one I looked at, and am happy with it.. 69 Z28 from Oxford alabama, no rust 350 V8 SB running engine, (but it had a cracked block) but paid only 2500 for it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I think the first place to look is within yourself.

Do you have the patience to take the time and do a very good project completion?

Secondly, do you have the stamina to complete the job, even if obstacles unforseen come up?

If you answered "Yes" to both questions, then, go look for your unmolested body, one-owner, low mileage, complete running Camaro, Good Luck,

Like pipeman suggests, look at several, and Chris suggests, what do you want? What are your second choices in options, etc.?

Four thousand will buy you the car, now what is your plan?

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 09-05-2001).]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Awesome car.

The pictures of your car make me appreciate vinyl tops a lot more now.

Sean
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about the post above, I was reading two different threads and posted the wrong reply here. :0.

Anyway, to reply to your questions Everett,

Yes I do believe that I have the patience to take the time to do a good project and I believe that I have the stamina as well. The only problem I will have is that I am 18, and a college student. In two years I will have to transfer to finish my degree in Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical Engineering (having a hard time deciding which one). I will more then likely live in a dorm for those last two years of college, so the only problem would be if I would almost have to take a break on the restoration if it is not finished by then, maybe work on the car a few weekends a month or something like that.

Also I have never done anything like this before, but I would like to do as much on the vehicle as possible myself, excluding paint (People who can paint have my upmost respect, I can't do it, and I realize how much hard work goes into it.) I may be able to do the body work(try to find a car with minimum body damage) myself but not the coat/coats of paint.

Thank You for your advice,
Sean
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

To answer about the options that I am interested in, I would prefer that the Camaro has power steering and brakes. Air Conditioning would be a plus considering the fact that i live in Southern Alabama, but is not a must.

Thanks for your input,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode