Super Comp Header Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Just installed a 402 BB in my 67 with hooker super comp headers. Problem- One of the header tubes laying over one of the power steering hose inputs, so cant't connect power steering hose. Any ideas would be appreciated, and thanks.

Another problem- I have roller rocker and tall valve covers so had to take off the windshield wiper motor. Now with engine installed wiper motor cannot be re-installed as it hits the valve cover. If I rotate the wiper motor 90 degrees it will go in. will it still work rotated 90 degrees? Again many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech

You must have the correct frame and motor mounts and crossmember or headers will not fit. Super comps seem to be the best fitting if you get the correct parts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Oger, I'm using 67 BB frame mounts and correct motor mounts. What does the crossmember have to do with it. I'm using a 700r4 tranny with a modified 400 crossmember. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 05:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I can only speak of a 69 and there are differences between the 67 frame and engine mounts and the 69's, but.......... on the 69's almost all the reproduction frame mounts are wrong. On the 69 the engine is offset towards the passenger side and the drivers frame mount is taller to gain clearance for the exhaust/power steering box. I do not know that they did this on the 67 though; I had heard the 67-68 were different than the 69's.

However, it at least sounds like the mounts or frame pads are too tall as I have the GM Performance bb cast covers which are TALL. They clear roller rockers AND a stud girdle with those very long adjustment nuts. It's STILL lower than the wiper motor, with 1/2-3/4" clearance between the motor and the covers. I do have to remove the wiper motor to remove the driver's side valve cover, but it can easily be re-installed after the cover is back on. It sounds like the engine is too high. I'd double-check the frame and motor mounts. On the 69's there are more incorrect than correct ones and everyone has header problems because of this. By the way, the guys who sell them say they're correct but they are definitely different than the originals which the Hooker headers are made to clear with.

Maybe someone here with a big block 67-68 can get you some heights on the frame and motor mounts to compare to yours.

Jody
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech

The engine and trans are offset to the pass. side about 1 in. The trans offset seems to have the greatest effect on header clearence. Just move it until everything fits.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

Red face

Regardless of cost, who makes the right motor mounts to put a big block in a 69 with power steering and power brakes? We are getting ready to do this swap, and the original big block mounts are long gone. This was a big block car. (right heater box)

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 50 Dodge truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech

Email me and I will give you what I know. I am sick of this site kicking out my answers.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 04:11 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Oger,

I have gone through alot of UBB Tech searches and we don't seem to have any others having the problem. When excessive bandwidth is being used at the office (lunch hour traffic etc) Our firewall causes the exact same thing you have discribed... Make sure your cookies are good and tell it to remember your password and you should not have to hit the back button. You can also highlight all the text you wrote and click <edit:copy> and have it in the buffer just in case. If your message is missing after doing a back, click in the box and click on <edit aste> and it will be restored...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Thanks everyone, you been a great help. After looking at everything again today I think I found the problem. I think the motor mounts are too thin letting it sit too low. Also rotated the wiper motor 90 degrees and it now fits great. If you remember the wiper motor in 68 & 69's sit different from the factory, they are already rotated.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 01, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech

I had to use a different outlet on the power steering box with the Hooker Super Comps. The one I used is short and has a 90 degree bend. I went to our local hose shop and the made a custom hose assembly, which included the outlet for about $40.00. Works great.
Rick
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 05:41 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

I just installed a 402BB in my '67 and have Hooker Super Comps as well. I had problems with the motor mounts as well. I found the correct ones and everything fits great. I didn't have any issues with the power stering box or the wiper motor. You can see pics of my engine on my web site. Hit the link in my sig. and email me if I can help out at all with the part number and source of where I got my motor mounts. Good luck

------------------
'67 Convertible 396SS Clone, 408BB, TH400, 3:73 12 Bolt Posi
Picture Link: [URL=http://www.geocities.com/jjknotts/1967Camaro.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode