Getting LS1 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Question

I am getting my '98 Z28 M6 this week ( I currently have a '92 GT Stang ) and I would like to take it to the local 1/8 track as soon as I can.

Can anybody give me anytips on how to launch it , and should I expect anything better than low 9's my first time out ? It is bone stock with 45,000 miles on the clock .

Thanks in advance

------------------
Come Join us at
ModernMusclecars.net
We look forward to seeing you there.

[This message has been edited by 8URTANG (edited 09-03-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 01, 11:21 AM
Ren

OMG, another LS1 owner...

How you launch is really gonna depend on how the track is and what tires you have.

Quick spin of tires just to clean 'em off

On my stock tires, i can launch ~1800rpm if the track is good, and roll onto the throttle quickly. Floor it and you'll spin too much

If its slick you have to REALLY baby it or you'll just spin... Try 1500 rpm first, then if you bog bad, more rpm. Spin? Lower it a bit...

Of course Drag radials or slicks mean you do a burnout to heat em up and dump the cluth at 2500 rpm or more... Tires make alot of difference.

------------------
2000 Z28 M6
Intake, Exhaust, little stuff...

'75 Type LT
Slowly but Surely
Learning as I go...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 03:15 AM
Senior Tech

put some slicks on it, heat em up, smash it to the floor and sidestep off the clutch .

you can replace your rear axles later.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 01, 05:02 AM
Ren

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Edwards:
put some slicks on it, heat em up, smash it to the floor and sidestep off the clutch .

you can replace your rear axles later.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to say it, you do this on a stock rear/clutch setup your gonna bust one or the other REAL quick. As cool as the motor and tranny is in these cars, clutch and rear are NOT up to par. If it was an auto you would be better off at the track, but the M6 & slicks will snap that crappy 10 bolt ring/pinion like it was wood. Ad if it does manage to hold your likely to fry your cluth in a big smelly mess. Stick to drag radials at most with stock equipment and save your $$ for a new clutch and 12 bolt for the drags.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 01, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. I absolutley love this car, no regrets at all, cept my poor ol '92 GT stang looks all sad out there.. I'm starting the freemods tomorrow. EGR, Free Ram Air, and Cags.

Later on a B&M Ripper,Ported MAF, lid,Cat Back (probably Loudmouth) Nittos and 4.10's .

Then when I get the cash to mod again: Hypertech Programmer,Headers,Y-pipe,Clutch, and a Nitrous Works 125shot. Should be an 11 sec ride if I can go through with it .

------------------
1998 Z28 M6 (no mods yet)
1992 Mustang GT
Come Join us at
ModernMusclecars.net
We look forward to seeing you there.

[This message has been edited by 8URTANG (edited 09-08-2001).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 01, 09:18 PM
Tech Team
Charles

11 seconds till you blow up the rear end or fry the clutch. In a recent Hot Rod article the guys at the School of Automotive Machinists blew the rear end 3 times at around the 11 second mark before they replaced it. I tried to find it but couldn't. You should read it. They got there car into the tens all on the motor and it tells you everything they did to it. Oh yeah, stock short block too.

------------------
69 X22 D80 w/95 LT1 Terrorizing the streets of N.E. Ohio....in a year or two.........mabey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode