68 SS with Flag Emblems???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 01, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Question

I am looking at purchasing a 68 camaro that I believe to be a true SS. All clues seem to be in line - 12 bolt, disc brakes and finned drums out back, multileaf springs, exhaust hanger welded to frame, etc. One thing has me puzzled though. It has emblems similar to a 67 on the front fenders, crossed flags and then the SS emblems on the front of the fender in the bumble bee stripe. The fender does have the side marker though. This car has been repainted, but the emblems show the wear I would expect out of original ones. Would it be possible that this 68 was one of the first SS produced and they used 67 emblems on it? Or am I just stretching for an original item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 01, 03:24 PM

Most likely not. The 67 and 68 badging are very different and GM is never been known to use such a practice with there emblems. Internal parts and engine components have made there way into preceeding year cars, but the price of making a new emblem does not justify the confussion. Although GM was slopping in the early years with some consistancy, this is not one of them. Maybe the prior owner wanted the flags because they look cool.

------------------
68 RS/SS 396/375
--------------------
http://<a href="http://albums.photop...208585&f=0</a>
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 01, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, after a closer inspection, the original emblem holes have been bondoed shut. I guess maybe he did think the flags were cooler Personally, I like the big SS on the side, but to each his own....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 10:12 AM
Tech Team

Chevy actually went the other way with badging. My 67 was late in the line and came with some 68 badging (grille emblem, horn cap, gas cap all were plain SS while the 67 should have been SS 350.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 01, 01:30 PM

Smile

I have seen a first gen car w/ a silver high-lighted black RS grill but w/ '67 wide RS undivided tailights on it.

I thought it was strange and have wondered if GM didn't mix them between model year changes, like late '67/early '68??? pdq67

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 01, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
William

Chevy dropped the SS350 designation when the 396 became available early in '67. Any SS350 built after that would have only SS badges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode