cheap rocket iroc? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

my friend is looking to buy a car, he wants a cheap fast and dependable car that will last him through college. I told him that he should go with an IROC with the 5.7, then go through the engine and tranny, and it should last at least 4 years with minimal maintenance, am I right? He also would like to buy a new engine, I said LT-1 would be a good pick, but I didn't realize that they were so expensive. What would you car gods recommend for this situation, he's got about 7k total to spend, and wants something somewhat dependable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech

Tell him to buy a Honda with a V-tech.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

are v-tech's that cheap? I was reading an article out of a camaro performers that did a tech on putting a zz4 in a third gen. it looked easy, and I think the kit would be around 4k, with a 3k camaro, do you think this would hold up?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

To tell you the truth any used car can or will nickle and dime your friend to death. Your best bet is to try and find a good all around car and have it inspected by a mechanic. That way you know what you need to do and what doesnt need to be done.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I bet you've never done a motor on a third gen camaro? Its not easy and its not fun. Just find a good running one and be clad you dont have to pull the engine.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech

I'm ready to get flamed on this one but here goes...If I had $7,000 and had limited auto mechanics knowledge but wanted a semi-fast (fun) ride and reliable, I'd find a non-molested (adult driven) 87-90 Mustang LX 5.0 w/around 60-70k miles. This car will book around $4,500 - $5,000 and I'd have money to swap in a hot cam and free up the exhaust. Then I'd have a grand left over to fix whatever is going to break, because for some reason every used car always seems to break something when it gets a new owner. This would give your buddy a high 13-low 14 second ride that's reasonably economical (overdrive) and will have some get up and go.

Ok - let the flaming begin...

------------------
'69 Restification
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
John

BLAH!!!

consider yourself flamed JonT!!!

Just kidding, I have nothing against Mustangs, but Camaros are better.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 06:25 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Even though I hate Stangs I agree with John. I had an 87 Iroc 350 and I spent mucho bucks on this car just to keep in good running condition. I'm sorry to say that the late 80's Camaro's SUCK to work on especially when they have a TPI set up. If he buys an Iroc have fun changing the plugs (there under the motor - you need a lift or very skinny arms and oh ya if the starter goes you have to drop the exhaust - oh ya the throttle bottle sensor is a pain in the but too - oh ya the t-tops leak etc etc etc. Go with the Mustang - It's easier to work on + cheaper to run. What about a T-Type or 442 - They go for around 5-7K in OK shape and I like em better than 5.0s
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 01, 04:03 AM
Senior Tech

Be careful with those Mustangs too. I had an
87 GT that had nothing but problems once I hit 70,000. Throttle position sensor, blown second gear,catalytic converter section of dual exhaust went bad (not cheap to replace)

They like to chew oil pumps too. My friend has had his 88 GT since new and he just replaced the oil pump AGAIN.

I agree with JoeKool, look for the best car you can afford and have it checked.

------------------

Racer#00

Plain Jane 67
76 Trans Am Stock Car
74 Z28 (Basket case)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 01, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Cameron

I like the T-Type or Grand National idea. I think that you should be able to find a decent one for that amount. Those things can be really fast with a minimal amount of mods. I think that they ran 14's from the factory and by just turning the boost up, you could easily get it into the 13's, maybe even 12's.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 01, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

What about this - I like the looks of the 86-88 Monte Carlos (Nascar Racing looks) - I wonder how tough it would be to drop in a Goodwrench 350 into one of these? Isn't an '86 carbureted so you wouldn't have to worry about computer crap?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech

All of the 80's Monte Carlo SS's are carbed and they are computer controlled, I put a 350 in mine and in my opinion, that is the way that the General should have done it.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 03:41 PM
Tech Team

I thought of the Monte SS idea also - One big problem though. They handled like a Delta 88. At least the Z and the GT handled somewhat decent with factory equipment. The Z handled the best overall though.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 01, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

ok, he's decided to go with a 94 z/28, which is LT powered. exhaust, intake, what else can you do to really wake these bad boys up? how much would a gear swap cost?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 01, 09:49 PM
Tech Team
Charles

The 94 Z is an excelent choice. I have 2 95 Trans Am's, and I never had any real problems with either. The first one didn't quit running till I wrecked it and I had to replace the fuel pump on the 2nd one at 142k, but nothing else. The gear swap is the way to go. If its got a 6-speed use 4.10's, if it has an auto use 3.55's or 3.73's. It wont give you more power but it'll feel like a big boost in hp. If you can find a wrecked 96 or 97 F-body in the junk yard you could get the dual cat. y-pipe. An air foil is also a pretty cheap improvement. But please for the love of god never attempt to change the opti-spark, or the plug wires for that matter. lol j/k Your friend will really enjoy that car though. Have fun.

------------------
69 X22 D80 w/95 LT1 Terrorizing the streets of N.E. Ohio....in a year or two.........mabey

[This message has been edited by camaroracerlt1 (edited 09-09-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode