67 SS or not - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I am looking at a 67 camaro that the seller claims is a SS. He is basing this on the fact that the turn signals in front are not in the grill, they are down below. The VIN number is 124377N139319. From that I can tell that it is a 67 coupe that came with a v-8. Is there any way to tell from the production sequence number whether this is really a SS or not? The exterior is stripped so it has no emblems or grill. How can I tell if this is a SS? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 12:15 PM

Having the turn signal down below (in the front) is because it has the lower valance panel of a RS.

Does it also have hide-away headlights? And reverse lights below the bumper in the back? If so to both, then it is probably a RS.

An SS would have a hood with louvers, along with a bunch of other less obvious things that others here can tell you all about

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe

[This message has been edited by djunod (edited 09-07-2001).]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The car doesn't have the hidden headlights so I don't think that it is an RS. I have not seen it in person yet so I can't really be sure of anything for sure.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech

Post the trim tag # in the tag team section.
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 01:48 PM
Jeff

Thumbs up

Have to say if your correct and it is a 67 then your lucky compared to us who have 68's. Get the Cowl Tag information and repost that info along with the VIN in the Tag Team section and they will help in decoding them for you. The Cowl tag will tell you on a 67 if its a RS/SS or what. the 67's tag also shows more options on it. Good luck with it being an SS, might just be an RS/SS.
__
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 01, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for all the info. I am working on getting the cowl tag numbers and I will then post them. You guys are awesome. Jeff made a comment about being lucky to find a 67 SS. Are they that much rarer than the other years or is it just the fact of owning a first production year SS? Either way, I am hoping to get this one if the numbers confirm it. Thanks again
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 01, 06:12 PM

Cool

His comment was aimed at it being a '67 - - you see in '67 the cowl tag details all of the options the car had - no hiding - tell all!

In '68 the tag will tell you the color of the inside and outside - and that is about it (alright a little more - but nowhere near the info a '67 shows)

------------------
Steve
My Cars
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 01, 06:10 PM

Lightbulb

I'm not sure of the "67", but on a "69" one way you can tell if it is an SS is to look at the frame mounted bracket that holds the front brake flex line. On an SS, the bracket is on the top of the frame rail, rather than on the side of the frame rail. Apparently this allows more room for bigger tires that may have come on an SS.

bob
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 01, 03:35 PM
Tech Team

In 67, the SS was really a SS350 option. 68 changed and allowed other engine combi's with the SS option. You really need to check the engine numbers (assuming it's the original engine). I think the original 350 would carry a M? engine number. E-mail me with the engine number and I can decipher and tell you what it is.
Cheers,
JJH
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The car has a 454 that the guy who owned it previously put in. so it is obviously not the original. I appreciate all the help though. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode