Electric Fan - Shroud ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 01, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

I'm converting my '67 coupe with a small block from a small flex fan to an electric fan and wanted to know shoud I continue to use the fan shroud with with electric fan?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 01, 10:25 AM

The fan shroud protects from fingers getting cut off, and to force the pulled air to be directed through the radiator.

If you have removed your other fan, and have your electric fans right up against the radiator, then YES, you can take off the fan shroud.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 01, 01:42 PM
Team Member
John

Why convert it? Nothing will do a better job than the original stock fan, clutch, and shroud....

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 01, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

I don't have the original stock clutch fan. The car came with a 15in flex fan that moves no air. I had the electric fan and wanted to give it a try. Any idea on how big the original fan was? 18 inch?

So the fan shroud doesn't help an electric fan?

Thanks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 01, 07:56 PM
XK1
Senior Tech

I've tried a few electric fans. In new mexico's winters I had to run one alone or the engine didn't warm up no matter what I did. Here in vegas, even a big one I tried would not keep it cool in traffic with the air on. my 18" flex pulls a LOT of air, too much on the higway, dragging me down. Keeps it nice and cool, though. I'm looking into another flex with a clutch, I want the power that I had not turning the fan at high speeds. Its a big load on the highway, and there is a noticable difference in power with the flex fan off and an electric fan installed. Hopefully a fan clutch will pull alot of air at idle. I guess it just depends on how hot it gets where you are. I wont go back to electric.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 01, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech

i am using an electric fan off an 86 buick somerset 4 cyl with a 6 cyl nova radiator on my approx 400 hp 355 in my nova, and during 100 degree heat this summer it never went over 200 degrees. if you get a good fan, mount it right ,and wire it right(relay), it will be good. this winter i am getting a thermal switch of some kind for it- now it is always on with the engine.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode