Ignorance on selling vehicles to people in other states - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Please forgive my ignorance with this question, but my girl friend has just sold her Camaro to someone in Hawii. Does anyone know the correct way to handle transportation of a vehicle sold to someone in another state? Can the buyer just head down to the CO DMV and pick up a temp tag to drive it around or does something more need to be done? Thanks for any help.

P.S. - I have called the DMV in both Araphoe and Elbert counties, and they have been completely unhelpful to say the least.

[This message has been edited by Justinian (edited 09-13-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech

wow if you can drive it to hawaii, your somthing ! ..

there are transportation services of all kinds. many specializing in automobiles.

heck , I think UPS will ship it too. (hefty price tag though)sorry I dont have any links, but you can search the net for some, or possibly some other tech team members have done this before.

but as far as the titling , Hawaii is in the USA , therefore the procedure to title a car is like any other, signed title, inspection sticker (if needed on classic, laws vary from state to state) and insurance. and new tags are yours.

------------------

Chris's 67 RS 327, Comp280,Flowmasters,shoddy interior, pepboys carpet and rusty floors and trunk can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 09-13-2001).]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech
Cameron

I don't know about where you are at, but here in Kentucky, if you sell a vehicle to someone in another state you have to get them to sign an affadavit saying that they bought it. If you don't, your home state thinks that you still have the car and keeps sending you bills for tags every year. Your state may be different. You might want to check on that first. The local DMV should know everything that you want to know in the titling area.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 09:49 PM
Senior Tech

when i got my nova a couple years ago, it had a california title(i am in minnesota). i just took the title to the dmv, signed it, and they filled out a paper to register a vehicle- same as a new car.they sent the old title back to cali, and issued me a MN title.according to the state of MN, i have a brand new 71 nova.well, 2 years old now...
BTW, anybody know how i could track down the history of my car in california? a phone # or web site would be great.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 01:10 AM
Jeff

Thumbs up

Thumbs up to a new incoming member to the Hawaiian Islands Camaro club ( I hope) heres some web site that might help you the seller and the buyer. the first one is Hawaii DMV they do plates by mail but I think the new owner will have to apply for them. Also Matson shipping ships cars here from thw west coast cost is $838.00 Not sure how you would get it to LA though. any room in the trunk for a pair of fenders for a 68 RS :P :P :P :P
anyway here the web sites. www.matson.com www.hawaiidmv.com
__
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442 ( 2003 year project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode