Verifying genuine Super Sports - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hi,let me first say LOUDLY, GOD BLESS AMERICA! Next,I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me how you conclusively know that you have a S.S.? I have a 69 with SS badges, and I'm not convinced it's real. What prompts me to say this is that I've been told a real SS has front disc brakes as a standard item. Thank you for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 02:14 PM
Senior Tech

Here ya go:there are many clues for this,1st
it should have power disc brakes,12bolt rear with multi leaf springs (usually 5 leafs) it should also have an exhaust bracket welded to the frame rail inside the drivers side rear wheel house roughly about 2"x5"
and of course it should have a 350 sb or a 396 motor
If it has all of these things its an ss
more than likely.Post the numbers in the Tag Team section for more info vin off of the dash and the tag on the fire wall near the brake booster....Mike
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 01, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech

Look for a smaller return fuel line (2 fuel lines). Also if possible see if the sending unit can accept this second line. If your car has a build date of 2/69 or later and you have this second fuel line you have to have a orginal SS. In 2/69 the 327 was replaced with the 307. The 307 did not use a 4 barrel carb like the 327. Only the 4 barrel carbs used the second return fuel pressure line. This is assuming you have a X11 on your cowl tag. If you have a X22, X55, X66 you also have a orginal SS.

Oh ya, If you have the orginall motor the stamping will tell you what you orginally had. Please post the info for a more detailed analysis.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 01, 10:51 AM

Wink

I've also been told an SS will have the front brake flex line mounting bracket attached to the top of the front frame rail rather than on the side of the front frame rail.

bob
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 01, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
William

Just like Z/28s, without paperwork there is no way you can be certain. Power front discs and dual exhaust were options on any 8 cylinder Camaro. For the first several months of '69 production there was a regular-fuel 350/4 barrel engine, the LM1. It is externally nearly identical to the L48. I am not certain it used the dual-fuel line setup. Also, there was no 327/4 barrel for '69. The LM1 '69 I owned had a 12 bolt axle; I also owned a Powerglide '69 SS350 convert that had a 10-bolt with mult-leafs. The '69 power team chart shows that as correct.

Disc brakes, 12 bolt axle, repro fuel lines, different body tag, SS hood, etc. can be easily added to any Camaro.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech

All 69 SS's should have:

* Power front disk brakes
* 12 bolt rears (I'd quickly question a 10 bolt SS car and wouldn't purchase one)
* Proportioning brake valve on driver's side sub-frame (most SS's should have it)
* Dual exhaust
* Multi-leaf
* If manual shift, SS's will have 11 inch clutch (not 10.5 inch) and starter for larger (14 inch, 168 tooth) flywheel
* 8 Inch harmonic balancer
* Quadrajet carb (except L-78, 396/375, which used a Holley) with 1/4 inch return line from large in-line gas filter.
* SS hood or ZL-2 cowl hood (rare from the factory)
* Speical SS wheels or Rally wheels
* If SS-350, it will have double hump heads
* Trim tag should have X-11, X-55 if it's small block...I can't recall the big block trim codes.
* Which included, "bright" (or chrome) trim for wheel wells, grill, headlights, and louvres (the gills in front of your rear wheels) and around the tail lights...but most 69's had all this.
* Big blockers had the rear valance painted black
* SS cars got the painted and/or taped hockey stripes in either black or white.

I'm in the 69 buisness (buying junk, selling classics) and for every 10 cars with SS badges, one is bonafide. Engine codes are a key to eliminate the pretenders. But once I've determined the car (which is for sale) isn't a true SS, I use that for bargaining power...for instance: "you advertised this car as an SS...I see from the VIN it was originally a 6 banger car. Now I feel my time is wasted and you've deceived me or someone deceived you. But, you have a nice car and I'm willing to offer the going rate for 69 6-cylinder cars. How does half what you're asking sound?"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech

One other thing. Power disk brake cars (and therefore all SS cars), have a bracket that bolts to the brake pedal under the dash to activate the brake light switch. Non-power disk brake cars use the pedal itself to activate the switch. Most people either don't know this, don't think of changing it, or can't find the little bracket. Definitely something to check for, though. Take care.

Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode