Harmonic Balancer installer....HELP!!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 12:13 PM
xodus921

Question

Where can I buy a harmonic balancer installer? I can't find one anywhere and I need it asap. I don't want to beat the balancer on with a hammer and a block of wood because we all know that is wrong!!! right? Please If you know let me know. I'm about to buy it from snap on but I have to order it and I can't really wait. I tried auto-zone, sears, Pep boys, strauss everywhere around here I could think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech

thats interesting, I got mine from pep-boys for rent.
another thing u might try, is going up to a shop, and asking a mechanic if you can use theres, and either offer him/her some collateral, or give him/her a few bucks or soem beer....I would prefer the beer.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 03:54 PM
xodus921

Tried that and all the guys yell at me and say "you don't need that, you just need a block of wood and a hammer" Then they finish with "thats the way I've always done it" I'll try a different pep boys again and see but if you all have any ideas please let me know. Thanks for the reply though.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 04:20 PM

Smile

Get a 7/16 UNF fine thread Grade 8 bolt about 4-1/2" to 5" long and beg, borrow or buy a tap and thread it to the head. Then just use some heavy washers and a couple a nuts to push the balancer on!

I made a 1/2" one for my BB, too!! They are real cheap and work just fine. I threw them in my tool box for the next time I need them right next to my transmission install. studs made from two SB head bolts w/ their heads ground round for a little extra length. pdq67

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Talking

Try going here, I bought one from them and it works great!!
http://www.powerhouseproducts.com/store/

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 01, 08:08 PM
Team Member
Bill

How about an early (67) 327. I have a new harmonic balancer, (Streetdamper) but there are no threads in the nose of the crank.

Anyone have an idea what the best way to install this is?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 04:52 AM

i did something similar to pdq. go to a bolt and screw supplier if you have one in your area. get a piece of 7/16 fine "all-thread", just buy about a foot of it (maybe $4) then get three nuts for it and the largest, thickest washers you can find. thread the all-thread into the nose of the crank. use one nut w/ the washers to push the balancer on, and use the other two nuts on the outside end of the all-thread for back drive to get it out. i learned that little trick here on this wonderful site. $6 beats the hell out of buying a $55 tool.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech

I must admit I tapped mine on with a 2 X 4. I am very curious, what is the harm in this? It seemed to go all the way on and did not have to be hit hard to get it there. Should I not have done this?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I asked this question in the Engine forum a while back and got all kinds of good responses. However, after searching and searching for a install tool less than $50, I gave up.

Got some grease,
Got some anti-seize,

And in the words of the great Happy Gilmore, "Just taaaap it in. Just a little tappy, a little tap, tap, tap-a-roo"

- problem solved.

[This message has been edited by englemac (edited 09-14-2001).]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 08:52 AM
xodus921

Cool

lola68rag, Thank you very much. Worked perfect. $2.68

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>1970 Cadillac Hearse - 472 BB automatic 375hp
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear[/list]
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech

Red face

Gee thanks guys...you post this stuff shortly after I just bought a $45 Moroso balancer installer from summit

The reason your not supposed to use a hammer on the balancer is because it supposedly beats the heck out of the rear main bearing. Honestly though, I have done a great many this way and never had any problems.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 12:54 PM
xodus921

Talking

I don't want to beat them on anymore because I saw what happens when one breaks. In the line at the track this dude was waiting to run and he just beat his new balancer on. Well the thing launched off when he reved the engine. Tore through the radiator and right into the trunk of the guy in front of him. Not a pretty scene. The guy in front of him wasn't to happy either.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Peter

Did you check Harbor Freight's catalog?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 03:54 AM

xodus,
don't mention it. i think i got that trick from CarlC. i just passed along what i've learned
tybor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode