Mechanic - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm not a car mechanic but I am a car lover. I recently bought a 1967, 327 automatic Camaro. 48,000 original miles
Every mechanic I've taken it to tell me it is a simple engine contruction and that they can fix the oil leak.
After having a new oil pan, oil pan gasket, several hoses replaced and seal
replacements, I am still experiencing a leak that ammounts to a quart of oil every 80 miles. I am looking for a recommendation of a mechaic in the New York City area who is reliable and knows this car. I am tired of people wasting my time and money. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 05:15 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
First and I don't mean this in a rude way.. Open your eyes!!! Take a look under the hood!! Can you see the engine block and heads? 45K miles isn't much but 30+ yrs is. Steam clean or have it cleaned so you can see the leak when it occures... When things are clean it will be obvious where 1qt goes in a heartbeat... Study some so you can identify the major parts of the engine. After doing the above it will be easy to point the garage folks in the right direction...

The engine is the same construction as most modern internal combustion engines. The induction system systems have changed the most.

Welcome to Team Camaro, you will find a wealth of good info here! The best advice I can give any consumer is CYA! You don't have to be a subject matter expert to avoid getting taken but you have to have open eyes!! A sense of what is what so to speak. When you have under the hood as clean as you can get it and you can give an idea of where the leak is coming from let the folks here know.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 10:40 PM

Welcome to the site!

I think Dennis gave you some good advice. A clean engine will reveal an oil leak real quick.

Are you SURE it is leaking the oil as opposed to consuming it? Does the engine smoke, for instance? Do you have any puddles of oil under the car after it has been parked for a while after running the engine?

I'm sure you will get a handle on this soon and you can then enjoy your new 1st generation Camaro.

Again, welcome aboard.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 04:48 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Schultzy,
Sounds like you suspect an oil leak around the pan gasket area? If it is wet up front it very well could be from the harmonic balancer seal on the timing cover. Most people replace this seal when replacing the timing cover gasket, but most people forget to inspect the condition of the balancer. If it has any wear or grooves at all it will leak again. For a couple dollars they sell a repair sleeve that slides over the balancer shaft and will seal up nicely with your new timing cover to balancer seal. Don't let people tell you your balancer cannot be grooved in the low miles you have. My friend has a 48,000 mile all original 68 327 Camaro and it leaks really bad at the balancer. It frustrates me because he refused to fix it because he's afraid to tear into it himself. It is very easy to do yourself, Only special tool required is a balancer puller.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

A quart in 80 miles is a pretty good leak. If you still can't find it after cleaning the engine, I would suggest adding some fluorescent leak detector made for engine oil. Then put a regular black light bulb in your shop light and start hunting.
http://www.autobarn.net/fluorleakdet1.html

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 09-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 09-17-2001).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 11:41 AM
Tech Team

I feel I also need to chime to tell you the speedometer on our cars don't have the 100,000 mark. I know my car has about 380,000 miles but the speedo says 80,000. Just FYI.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 03:50 PM
Bill

Shultzy,
It is pretty obvious by your post aht you prefer to have someone fix the car for you. Bravo for admitting it. There is nothing wrong with loving cars but not wanting to work on them. I have found that most shops now days do not like to mess with with oil leaks, and hate to work on older cars You need to ask around your area to find a mechanic willing and able. You might want to try the i-ATN web site. www.iATN.net
Like every one else has said, a quart in 80 miles is a MAJOR leak....should be very easy to find.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode