BODY VALUES - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Question

IM TRYING TO BUY A 68 SS RS. THE PROBLEM IS THE PRICE. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE BODY IS IN NEED OF WORK AND THAT WHERE THE HAGGLING COMES TO PLAY. HES TELLING ME THAT JUST CAMARO BODYS ARE SELLING FOR BETWEEN 3 AND 6K BECUSE ITS A HOT MARKET AND I NEED TO DO A LITTLE RESEARCH.WELL GUYS HELP ME RESEARCH.I HAVNT SEEN JUST A BODY GOING FOR THAT WHOS OUT OF LINE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Depends on the body. If it's a rare documented Z, COPO, L78/L89, pace car Could go for 3 to 6 grand depending on the condition, I would like to see a #matching rear and trans with it. For a plain jane if the body was excellent I could see a couple of grand tops. You have to try and figure how much your(wife is) willing to spend on the car and if it's worth buying and fixing. If you can do the work yourself it's not that bad,but if your farming it out your better off spending some cash up front for one that's already done. Unless the car is something special I would not pay over a grand. To get all the parts to put it back will cost you another 10. Just my opinion.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 10:12 PM

I think it's really hard to say and pretty subjective. Each car is different and requires different types of work to get it to where you would want it to be.
Have you looked this car over with a fine tooth comb? Exactly what does it need.
I highly recommend you get underneath the car and inspect it very carefully, on a hoist if at all possible.
I think Kurt is probably right about the costs to replace the parts on a rusted car. The problem is, how rusted is it?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

This car is a daily driver and is equiped with all the rs/ss equipment.My argument is that has repaired (badly) rear quarter damage. Im looking for a project car anyway and can do the work. I have checked for rust at the verious locations and its the rear quarters that im questioning. The owner seems to think that the market is realy strong and that body parts are like gold and hes sitting on a mountain.My offer is based on what my costs of repair will be to do the work and repaint the car.His idea is that the body alone is worth 6K.Im telling him that you can always part it out for more
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech

As far as body, there was little diff between a 6-banger car vs. a ZL-1, other than the trim tag. Do yourself a favor. Make a list of everything the car needs with a cost estimate. Multipy that estimate by 1.25 or 1.5. Then decide if you'll end up with a car that's worth (to you...forget everybody else for now) what you've invested. Good luck!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 01:35 PM

I talked to a guy down at the OFSMNat's in Springfield, MO sat. about a documented '67 camaro he got from CA. It was a light yellow, plain-Jane 210hp/327 w/ a PG and was supposeably driven by the proverbal(sp.??)-little old Lady!.

He was telling me that he wanted $12,000 or more for it. Now, get this!! It was totally stock, but had it's paint checking on the front clip. Next, under the hood was a real bad case of superficial rust (powder-like type) all over everything. And third, there were holes around the top rear fender at the rear glass area and all around the rear window!!

Now, I ask you to please look over what you have in front of you very carefully!! Good luck w/ your hunt for a project car. pdq67

PS., maybe the salty ocean air does that to an old car thats been sitting around for a long time??

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 01, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

If the quarters are gone you will find the floors and trunk pan are probably in need of replacement.
It depends on how good you are at body work and to what extent you want to go in the resto.
As far as bodies go I have seen them go for 4000 Canadian.
There was a local guy who used to bring them up from California to Canada and strip them down and sand blast them. He had three or four in his shop.
I walked in one day and he had them stacked in a row on their firewalls.
It was the strangest sight I have seen.
People would buy his bodies and swap all the parts on their rusted out Canadian cars.
It was a good business but this was in the early 90s.
Have the car inspected by a good body man, and get a needs list. That may be a good bargaining tool.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Since we're talking about body values, what $$ difference would a ragtop make vs a comparable coupe? I know there's some of you that prefer the coupe but for the most part it seems the convertibles are bringing more. Just curious.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 01:53 PM
chuckdetroit

I paid 2500 for my 1st gen 69 Z28 running engine and th350 and all, but the engine had a cracked block, so I had it rebuilt with a 4 bolt main!. Prob his car is worth 3-5 grand tops.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 10:48 AM
kcs
Senior Tech
Kevin

Shotgun, I bought a 68 rs/ss car with no motor or trans. for five grand. The body was solid but had wild paint on it because it was a drag car. I got most of the interior pieces with it. It comes home friday from the body shop. I had it painted red with black ss stripe. I will have about nine grand into it now. A zz4 motor and trans. amd misc. items will put me at fifteen grand. Is it worth it? In my eyes, YES. A basicaly new car with no rust and looks mint.Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by kcs (edited 09-25-2001).]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 06:24 PM
Tech Team

I can get rebuilt converts for $10k out here. In good shape too but they still needed a little work, most done though.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 01, 04:21 AM
Kevin

Winch, 69 converts are a little higher the 67-8 ones. Either it's the body style or that fewer 69s were made than 67 or 68s. A 69 convert NOM bowtie PROJECT car with spare parts just went for $4000 on ebay. The prices seem to just keep going up.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode