HEI Distributor-Proform - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone out there used the Proform HEI distributor and can pass on the results.

I have been told they make it for Petronix and Morosso and that it is as reliable as an MSD. Is this true? Will the reliability and life be there as compared to an MSD?

Thanks for the help.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 03:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Hi Ken,

When I was looking for a computer controlled distributor, I really wasn't prepared for the shock I was about to experience. I looked through the Jegs catalog and was so horrified that I called them up and spoke with one of the techs. He was kind enough to let me in on some helpful info (I'm assuming that it was truthful). He said that Proform makes the distributors for Chevrolet. He said that a Proform distributor is a over the counter Chevy part. The cost of the Proform was less than half compared to the MSD which brought some relief to me. I bought one. To be quite honest, I did have a problem with the spark module unit six to eight months after installing it. Jegs only warrantied the item for one to three months after purchasing (I forget the exact length of warranty), but they were kind enough to provide me with Proforms number. I called up and spoke with a very nice woman by the name of Christina. She said, NO PROBLEM. We can't replace just the module so just send the whole distributor back and we'll send you a new one. Well, I had just moved and didn't have much time to spare. Two to three months later, I finally got my chance to send it back. One week later, I come home and a brand spanking new Proform distributor is sitting on my front porch. Any company that would warranty and treat a customer as well as they treated me deserves respect and they certainly earned mine. No hassles. Consider them.
Thanks, Paul
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech

i know proform makes all the GM chrome stuff. if that dist is the one they put in the ZZ4, i might have to get one. it is half as much thru proform as thru GM.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 11:31 AM
Tech Team

I thought they was made in china? But yes I do have one that I bought before I found that out. And I did replace my module and harness/cap with a NAPA unit about a year after I bought it. The module was dead so I figured might as well get a new capasitor too.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
i'm planning on going with msd distrib/coil/ignition/wires my self. i just trust msd's reputation, and the 6AL ignition seems great with the rev limiter, i really dont want my engine tacking past 6500 if i mis a shifte (donno if thats possible with a manual shifting auto, but i've heard stories).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode